My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, December 16, 2005

symbolism

While pushing a shopping cart through the farthest parts of the cavernous confines of our local super Wal-mart and approaching the dairy section, I noticed that the store audio system was playing a song that sounded familiar. As the dimly heard music desperately strove to be heard above the noise of the busy store, I recognized it as a hit from back in the 60’s. The name of the song was “Will you love me tomorrow?” sung by the Shirelles and it was one of the top songs on the chart for the year 1961.

1961 was the only year of my life that was spent totally outside the friendly borders of the United States. This, along with several months of 1960 and 1962, passed with me in residence at a small international military installation called Camp Voluceau – about 11 miles west of Paris, France. At that time I was “owned” by the U. S. Army and I went and stayed where they told me to go and stay.

During that time in my life, this song was one (of many) that my mind and ears sought out to sort out many confusing emotions that were present back then. These unsorted emotions, even with this and other songs, only tended to make the homesickness and loneliness worse – whether I was actually alone or with others.

My mind conjures up much symbolism in the words of this song and some of it had to do with the lifestyle I was living at the time. The words were: “Tonight you’re mine completely – You give your love so sweetly – Tonight the light of love is in your eyes – But will you love me tomorrow?” It spoke of intimacy with no real commitment but also of concern about what happens tomorrow – a feeling still real in the lives of some today.

It goes on: “Is this a lasting treasure – Or just a moment’s pleasure? – Can I believe the magic of your sighs? – Will you still love me tomorrow?” Again this symbolizes the mindset of many today – having questions but not enough willpower to wait until they are answered, there is also confusion as to the definition of real love. “The magic of your sighs?” – oh, please, no wonder my emotions didn’t get sorted out until later in life.

Continuing: “Tonight with words unspoken – You say that I’m the only one – But will my heart be broken – When the night meets the morning sun?” “Words unspoken”? – It’s bad enough when someone lies about love but when nothing is said and the other has to assume the words, this is very un-smart. My guess would be a broken heart when the sun comes up – back then and today when similar assumptions are made.

The final words: “I’d like to know that your love – Is a love I can be sure of – So tell me now, and I won’t ask again – Will you still love me tomorrow? – Will you still love me tomorrow?” With all the seemingly unanswered questions and human nature’s desire for answers, one would assume that more questions would definitely be on the way.

Then it occurred to me that there might be some more subtle symbolism involved here. Was the Wal-mart computer actually singing this song to me and the other shoppers? Was the computer hoping we would still love what we had in our carts when we got to the cash register? Was it then wooing us to love the things we were buying and hoping that we would still love them enough tomorrow to come back and shop again?

My emotions did falter just a bit when the bill was totaled up but I will probably go back, definitely not tomorrow though, I have to have time to get over the bitterness of the realization that Wal-mart only loves me for my money.

The Holy Spirit is wooing us today with a genuine love that goes beyond anything we are able to define or understand. It is a love that will continue through all of our tomorrows on this earth and on through eternity after that. The cost of this love has already been paid by the sacrifice of Jesus long ago. Our part is to simply accept God’s forgiveness and follow His plan for us stated in the Word. Wow, what an awesome gift!! ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

In the case of Wal-Mart my answer is, "I'm not particularly fond of you today, honey."

12/16/2005 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - I know that emotion and it's the same with me - main reason being that a person can hardly get in and out of the place. ec

12/16/2005 05:59:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

What a great post! First, I HATE super Wal-Marts. They're too too much for me, my senses are overstimulated, so I'm with anvilcloud on that one. I was born in 1960, but I somehow knew and remember all the words to that song. It is a universal question, across generations. I so agree that the "words unspoken" thing is a red flag. Reminds me of a song I've heard at a number of weddings in recent years: "You say it best when you say nothing at all..." NO!!! I'm a marriage counselor, and I work very hard to try to get people to STOP saying "nothing at all." You have a wavy mind, mreddie, from Wal-Mart to pop music to the Holy Spirit. I like wavy :)

12/16/2005 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

susie - Thanks for stopping by the "patch". 1941 was my year of birth, the year Pearl Harbor was bombed - but I don't remember having anything to do with that.

I do enjoy having a wavy mind - thanks. Though at times getting my thoughts in order is bit like corralling a bunch of ornery sheep. With a baa baa here, a baa baa there, etc. ec

12/16/2005 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I hope everyone reaches the end of life knowing that 'love' was what it was all about, more about giving it, than receiving it.

12/17/2005 01:09:00 AM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

I'm with you on the WOW of such gifts that God gives us so willingly.
Now - dare I say that I have moments of missing wally? ;)
Only moments. Promise.

12/19/2005 08:49:00 PM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

I'm with you on the WOW of such gifts that God gives us so willingly.
Now - dare I say that I have moments of missing wally? ;)
Only moments. Promise.

12/19/2005 09:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home