My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, December 08, 2005

kisses

I ran back across this little item that was especially composed by yours truly and recited to my wife in the presence of our peers at our “Old Friends” Seniors Valentines banquet this year. Thought I would pass it along even though Valentine’s day has long past. And yes, it was supposed to be silly.

The following poem was inspired by a true story – ours – the names have been omitted to protect the innocent - plus they didn’t rhyme that well anyway – the poem is entitled “Kisses”.

The first time I laid eyes on her
I thought that I would faint,
said to myself, well I’m a boy
but I really think she ain’t.

I had seen some real neat things,
like baby chicks and a guppy,
but all I could think to myself was:
she’s purty as a speckled puppy.

My knees went weak in her presence
but I did manage to walk,
but how can I get to know this girl
if I couldn’t even talk.

We were both very young
and of many things unaware,
so young was I, as a matter of fact,
that I still had all my hair.

But it was at the skating rink
where we would often go,
that I really fell for her -
in heart and on the flo.

I was just a lad of sixteen
and she was two years less
but up till then in my young life
I had never had a kiss.

I had not yet a driver’s license,
my sister, she would take us.
But she said if you don’t kiss,
we’re gonna have a fracas.

As she drove us, that fateful night
to take my sweetie home
I walked her slowly to her door
and I knew my time had come.

Never having kissed before
would I be smooth and slick -
could I get my pucker right,
or would I just make her sick.

My sister flashed a signal light
and I knew that this was it,
I either had to kiss this girl
or my driver would have a fit.

I leaned down and she leaned up
and our lips met in between,
only for a brief moment though
cause I was scared out of my bean.

My sis approved and took me home
and I pondered what I’d done.
Now would I kiss other girls,
or was this the only one?

Years passed by, as did the lips
and kiss them, yes I did -
but did I find the right ones
that caused my heart to skid?

I did not and then came back
from the army’s foreign lands,
my search went on for lips to kiss
and a girl to hold my hands.

The one I’d kissed those years ago
had spoken and not in mirth,
that she would not marry me
if I was the last man on earth.

This was said to a friend of mine
while I was far away
but could she stay so very cold
since I was home to stay.

When I came round she warmed a bit
or at least she didn’t cuss
could this be a sign for me
was there a chance for us?

Birds did sing and bees did hum,
my future was looking bright,
I knew I had another chance
to get my pucker right.

There really was some magic in
that next important kiss,
I had changed and so had she,
enough for wedded bliss.

Tho the years have come and gone,
there still is lots of zip,
when I meet her face to face
and kiss her lip to lip. ec

14 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Ohhh Mr. Eddie I'm gonna cry! How sweet and precious and loving and wonderfully amazing. God is so good!!! :-)

You two certainly seem to bless each other.

12/08/2005 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

That is so far beyond sweet!!!!!

Talent (and brains).

12/08/2005 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - Yes, God is good and He lead me to a good woman - this coming June will be 43 years together.

milkmaid - Thanks so much for the kind words. ec

12/08/2005 01:22:00 PM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Mr Eddie.... wohooooo!! That is just such a cute story! Made even better by the fact that it's yours.

Did she cry when you read it to her? How blessed you both are.

12/08/2005 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Loved it! I am applauding right now with this keyboard.

I am an Eddie as well, and sometimes referred to as Mr. Eddie, but I will let you have it since most of the time I go by Eddo.

12/08/2005 03:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

Awwww, I love this! It's funny and romantic! And I can so see you on the skating rink flo! :)

12/08/2005 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

using up the words - She didn't cry but there was a certain light in her eyes that I like to brighten when I can.

eddo - The kids at church have always called me Mr. Eddie - the few that didn't called me Eddo. We must have gone to different schools together. :)

ivy the goober - I did my share of the mopping of the skating rink flo! :) Still remember some of the songs we skated to, but hardly anyone else does since I'm about as old as dirt. ec

12/08/2005 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a fun post that was!!

12/08/2005 07:03:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Mr Eddie, that is so beautiful...and I think you are counting your blessings again.

12/08/2005 08:31:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - It was fun composing, reading at the banquet and now posting on the blog. If you look close you can almost see my smile between the verses. :)

bonita - Thanks, and you are right I count those blessings every day. ec

12/08/2005 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger natala said...

:)
that is so wonderful! :)

12/09/2005 07:08:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

natala - Thanks, my sweet one seemed to like it as well. ec

12/09/2005 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

awwww! :) sweet...

12/09/2005 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jay are - Thanks - it got me many husband points with the wife. :) ec

12/09/2005 05:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home