My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, December 03, 2005

puddin

This particular Sunday in the not too distant past started like most any other Sunday, with the sun coming up and my little world getting light. Was up early, putting the finishing touches on a Sunday school lesson to present to the high school class. This along with munching the contents of a bowl of mixed cereal - today's bowl began as usual with a banana smushed on the bottom, then a layer of Rice Krispies, a layer of Special K and a final one of Cheerios. All this was then made moist and more edible by pouring on enough Silk (soy milk) to cover the ingredients.

This was accompanied by a large cup of hot tea - Twinnings English Breakfast - and the whole schmear was more or less enjoyed immensely. Then after all the getting ready prep, we headed out the door to church. On the way, as has become my habit, I asked my favorite wife to pray for me to be able to fulfill my lesson presentation as God would have me to do. My dear one was dropped off at the door of the church and I parked and headed to class.

The kids gradually gathered and class began. When presenting a lesson, I try to make it as interesting as possible without standing on my head - unless that becomes necessary. One never knows, but I think I almost succeeded in getting and keeping their attention, because I noticed no snoozers this morning – and only one with heavy lids. From the feedback it seemed as though the Holy Spirit was helping get across the points. Only eternity will tell the meaning of our time together today.

Then on to meet my spouse for the morning worship service - with the songs of praise and worship softening our hearts to receive God's Word. Our pastor gave the message that the Holy Spirit had directed him to speak and it was received as from the Lord. After a fruitful invitation and prayer time down front we departed for home. With an errand to run on the way, we decided to stop for a bite at Taco Bell. Then on the way home, with our errand still in front of us, I realized the eating stop might have been somewhat of a mistake.

The heartburn must have started when I left the driveway of the place and continued all the way home. The condition was such that I deduced that I needed something to cool the fiery condition that existed within. The only conclusion I could come to and solution I came up with was to go home and make a banana pudding – deductive reasoning is a strange animal. Arriving home, our errand finished, I set out to do exactly that.

My tried and true recipe stays on the countertop, behind the plastic of the recipe holder, always available for just such an emergency as on this day. Barely squeaking by on some of the ingredients, the construction began. This is an old-fashioned recipe accomplished with new-fangled appliances - I cooked the pudding part in the microwave. Then there was the careful layering of all the ingredients, the egg whites were whipped, with other secret ingredients, into the fluffy meringue that was placed on top of the whole thing.

This delight is then placed in the oven to brown the meringue. This is the time of waiting that is akin to a child waiting for Christmas morning to finally arrive. With the proper brownness finally achieved, it is taken out to be shared with my favorite spouse. Three bowls later I had traded one uncomfortableness for another - this latter being the more so of the two. Maybe I'll have enough left for breakfast in the morning.

Wow, all I can say is that God must have invented banana pudding!! ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

At least you do not suffer from spiritual indigestion, which can happen when one studies too intensly. I'll have some of that pudding, please.

12/03/2005 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

MrEd ~ That's just too cute! :)

Sounds like a pretty great day, aside from the burning... but you should know better than to eat at Taco Bell. :)
Stick to the banana pudding... sounds like a bit of bliss.

blessings
cj

12/03/2005 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - The pudding was great but it is a little hard to deliver through this blog. :)

Using up the words - It took the fullness longer to subside than the burning. I think I'm allergic to pudding though - I break out in fat! ec

12/03/2005 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

all I can say is: a man who cooks?? right ON.

also, I've been curious: whatever became of your least favorite wife? :) hee. is she in the cellar?

12/04/2005 02:57:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jay are - One and the same wife - just on a given day she might drop below the radar on the favorite scale. :) ec

12/04/2005 08:15:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Ah brother, I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. One year, I asked for Banana Puddin' as my birthday cake. And I must say it was the best birthday cake EVER!!!!!

And I so get you on the SS thing. My hubby and I both teach Middle School and sometimes it's so... challenging, but so rewarding, too.

Take care.

12/07/2005 03:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home