My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

fat free

During a perusal of our freezer, I came upon a one-quart freezer bag of peaches that was dated from the year before. Whereupon they were brought into the house, “nuked” in the microwave for a bit to bring them into a less solid state, and a portion of them were consumed – risking hypothermia of the tongue.

These morsels of delight turned out to very edible, causing me to conclude that the year of their freezing was a good vintage year for peaches. Other conclusions were reached as well, making me realize that conclusions were not beyond my reach.

The next day, in the somber light of day, I concluded that somberness was not beyond my reach as well – though that would be quite a reach. Digressing from this very digressive digression, the thought came to my mind that with a little ingenuity, one could construct a more imaginative and healthy dessert/health food from these vintage peaches – now in thawed condition.

Obtaining a bowl from the cabinet, the size of which is best left to the imagination, I started the construction project. The foundation of the structure was a large slab (it was bigger than a slice) of angel food cake – this was cooked earlier by my favorite wife from a box of Duncan Hines Angel Food cake mix, labeled as being fat-free.

Doubts formed in my mind about the fat-free part of this cake because the first ingredient of the stuff was sugar, and while that may not be fat in itself, fatness has a large chance to be the evidential result. It turns out that the main ingredients are sugar, flour and egg whites. I should not have read the ingredients after consumption since the last ingredient listed was confusing/troubling. Exactly what is sodium lauryl sulfate and what does it do to a person?

Upon and round about thereof the slab of cake was placed a normal amount (for me) of bite sized peach pieces along with some of the juice (light syrup) in which they were frozen. This was topped and completely coated over by an 8 oz. container of Breyers 99% fat free smooth and creamy blended yogurt in the peaches and cream flavor.

Once again I made the grave error of not reading the ingredients until after consumption. The next to last ingredient of this yogurt was yellow 6 and if that was not yellow enough, the very last on the list was yellow 5. I was somewhat flummoxed (whatever that means) by this, lulled into believing all the ingredients to be natural – since that is the claim of this particular company’s ice cream production.

Was the large and possibly pernicious delight and enjoyment of my construction project worth it? That remains to be seen – to say the least – and I will end this soliloquy with a modified version of an old saying. If my intake (of calories) exceeds my output (of energy expended) then my excess will be my overhang (of the belt).

I wonder if a person’s soul can get too fat? ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Care of the soul involves the consumption of all of life's graces, digestion of our experiences, and elimination of any toxins that want to harbor away and make our stride lumbersome. That, and sharing a cup of tea with a friend are good for the soul. Enjoy.

11/29/2005 04:57:00 PM  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

yeah, what Bonita said! :)

11/29/2005 08:37:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita and ivy - thanks much for the words. ec

11/29/2005 10:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home