My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, November 26, 2005

It was like this - 2

Our major family social event started to slowly wind down and folks were leaving a few at a time. One couple had to go to two more affairs – hopefully for them they wouldn’t have to eat at both. We were down to the hardcore dozen or so when I started packing it in. It was needful for me to be back home by about 4pm to help the wife with last minute prep, since our next event started at 5.

On the route home, I perused the trees beside the roadway; I’m always amazed by God’s creation. Their branches were in various stages of bareness, with some it was total and with others, leaves were still in color but rapidly on their way out. A row of flowering pear trees had just started to change colors, with many of the leaves still green. I guess that is how a ‘scattered’ frost affects the greenery.

As I drove along, my mind couldn’t help but walk down memory lane and I thought how much my Mom and Dad would have loved to have been to that family function, they always enjoyed that type of get-together. Dad passed in ’95 and Mom in ’97.

The old song goes ‘over the river and through the woods to grandmother’s house we go’ – it suddenly occurred to me that my wife and I are the grandmother, and grandfather, that others are now going over the river and through the woods to see. It seems that time flies, whether you are having fun or not – of course I usually do.

There is an odd quirk in my nature such that if there are two ways to go to a destination and there is no great difference in the distances between them, I will go one way and return the other. Such is the case today since I went the interstate and am returning on the parkway and through downtown Augusta.

An errand was completed in route and I got home about 4pm. Our main parts of the meal were almost done and I helped with the finishing touches. The crew started arriving with additional dishes a few at a time until we topped out at 15 adults and 5 youngsters. Four of the youngsters were boys and under 3 ½ years old, my 12-year-old granddaughter was somewhat outnumbered. Four of the kids were our “grands” with the other being a great-nephew (or grand nephew?).

Prayer was offered and we began our feast – I wasn’t quite as enthusiastic as some since I had already “been there, done that” at lunch. Again, much laughter was woven through the entire affair, but I couldn’t claim much genetic involvement since over half of the crowd was related to me by marriage. Nonetheless the fun and fellowship was great, causing at the very least, smiles all around.

This is the time that the crowd usually draws names so as to have only one family member to buy a gift for at Christmas. This year we have decided to do things differently. We collected money from each of our families and through connections with a local church, we asked for a needy family for which we could provide Christmas gifts – in lieu of buying for each other. We received a wish list and after the meal, the table was cleared and all the ladies gathered around with sales papers and did a little prep work for a major shopping trip the next day to gather the things on the list.

Our family gradually started departing to their places of abode but a few hung around for quite a while. It was about midnight when the wife and I rested our weary heads. What a day of feasting, the food was a part, but the best by far was the delicious partaking of the love of family, tasting the different personalities and the delightfully seasoned senses of humor. As I was drifting off, the smile in my soul was very huge.

As I sit alone today, putting the finishing touches on this missive, the ladies have put in a full day of gift gathering, starting early this morning. Then the whole feminine crowd went to a “chick flick” together. A few items remained after the movie and several of them are finalizing the shopping for this needy family. This Christmas promises to be very rewarding, for us and for the family involved.

Can’t help but believe that this is what the Word was talking about when it said that it is more blessed to give than to receive. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Segue said...

You left a comment on my blog today. How'd you find it? I don't recall seeing your "name" before, and I don't know anyone in Clearwater, FL.

Oh well, thanks for stopping by.

-Segue

11/26/2005 01:57:00 PM  
Blogger Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Beautiful post. Your love of life and family rings through.

I hope us young folks aren't too saucy for ya. We tend to let off steam.

Happy holidays to you and your lovely family.

11/27/2005 01:34:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

writer mom - Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by. ec

11/27/2005 07:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home