My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

ugly

As a unit of discourse, ugly is just not a pretty word. As a matter of fact, it’s downright unattractive. Just look at it – it has only one vowel and that seems to be in the wrong place. When this word is spoken it seems to come from way deep within the speaker and just falls out in the presence and on the ears of the hearer like a large, dead Tiliqua rugosa (a real ugly skink with scales and a round bulb of a tail).

Maybe the word could be doctored up a bit to make it less unattractive. If we added a consonant and another vowel, the word hugily could be invented and it would give many more warm fuzzies than the original word for maximum unattractiveness.

The word unattractive is even prettier than ugly and would seem to be less injurious to the person identified as such. Besides, what qualifies a person to designate another member of the human race as ugly? Do colleges have a course in ugly identification? It seems to me that most of the ugly identifiers I have come in contact with are self-taught and would do well to look in the mirror for a comparison study.

If two relatively attractive people were compared, would one be considered uglier than the other or just less attractive? If ugly comparisons were made between three folks, one of them could be deemed the ugliest of them all and yet still be attractive when compared to another study group.

It seems then that the word ugliest could only be true when all persons on earth are compared. This could be carried out by every city or town nominating their uglier person, then gather them all in one place and contest it. Then the one that could scare the most children, make the most small mammals die of fright and the most coyotes howl mournfully could be declared the ugliest. All the rest of the uglies would then care for that person and see to it that they had a long life – because as long as the ugliest lived, none of the others would have that distinction.

The problem with that whole scenario is that real ugly is not found on the outside of a person. It seems that many of the “beautiful people” have the ugliest attitudes, words and actions – I suppose it’s because they never needed to develop the good character traits since they were accepted for their pretty outside.

Some will go to any lengths, even surgery, to beautify the exterior when all they needed was the inside cleaned up. This interior project is neglected because the person feels they can’t do anything about that. Of course they are right, in as much as the spiritual part can only be corrected and beautified through the work of the loving sacrifice of Jesus Christ when He died for our sins.

I’m not dismayed by the elderly, wrinkled man that looks back at me in the mirror - I know that inside I’m very handsome - and not very old either - due to my acceptance of God’s Word. His forgiveness is available at any time, night or day and for anybody that chooses it. That’s awesome to me. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Lance Mac said...

It's amazing. No matter how many times we are warned by God, "Don't go after these things, they don't last...Don't worry about this, you can't control it anyway...Try this instead." we still go after the temporary. It's also interesting how our definitions of words change as we grow to know God and His Son more.

This is a fascinating blog, Mreddie, do you mind if I have a link to yours on mine?

11/16/2005 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger ann said...

"I’m not dismayed by the elderly, wrinkled man that looks back at me in the mirror - I know that inside I’m very handsome - and not very old either - due to my acceptance of God’s Word. His forgiveness is available at any time, night or day and for anybody that chooses it. That’s awesome to me."

I've never laid eyes on you, and your beauty shines brightly for all the world to see. Of course, it's Him through you, but what an amazing vessel!

The thought that I am beautiful inside is circling in my mind. I know it's Him in me, and we sing about it to Him (...You made me beautiful...) but to see it written in your words resonates somewhere deep within me.

11/16/2005 06:30:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Morpheus - I would be honored by the link and thanks for the kind words. ec

11/16/2005 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Ann - Thanks but to God be the glory! ec

11/16/2005 07:57:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

evader - Thanks for the kind words. ec

11/16/2005 08:02:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I know that inside I’m very handsome - and not very old either

I know what you mean. I'm forever young on the inside.

11/23/2005 08:26:00 AM  
Blogger J. Grace said...

Thanks for coming by to read my ramblings at least I know someone is attempting to understand (haha). Yes ugly is an ugly word no matter how we use it. As for the two attractive people unfortunately we as humans always have an idea of what beauty is and one is always usually less attractive than the other. The one thing we should have been taught was how does the beauty on the inside stack up to the outside. I have some very beautiful friends who open their mouth and "less attractive" comes to mind. Keep writing I enjoy reading. As for my blog you know its hit or miss, I just write what hits me at the time.

12/13/2005 07:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home