My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

nostalgia

One tool that every young (or old) husband must have to keep his home together and in relatively good shape is a hammer. This year my hammer - “Frank” by name - celebrates his fortieth year of association with our family – plus or minus a few months (or maybe years) due to a faulty memory. Necessity insisted that this tool be purchased during the repair and/or remodeling of our young family’s very first home - circa 1964.

At that time Lowes or Home Depot were not in existence, but we did have Sears Roebuck just a few blocks away - at Fifteenth and Walton Way – so that’s where I went. Let me also add that we didn’t have a mall of any kind back then, so everybody shopped downtown, and it was really a mad house, especially on Saturdays.

A great love for Sears did not exist in my heart at that time and this has changed very little since. The main reason for this was that when something purchased from there developed a faulty part, they were the only one with replacements and they valued these spare parts very highly. Hopefully it is not that way now.

However, they have always had great hand tools, those with no moving parts except what my body provided, so to the tool department I went. Making a special effort not to drool on all the other hand tools, I made my selection – after much deliberation. The hammer I chose was one of 12 ounces in weight for light and/or general-purpose usage. After all, one would not want to hang pictures on the wall with an eight-pound sledgehammer.

My prize instrument of pounding has a hardwood handle with a metal insert going into the bottom of the hammer head with resin poured into the top of the head to keep it tight. The handle fits perfectly in my hand and is almost like an extension of my arm. This well-balanced tool has sent many nails to their final resting place and even brought some back into the light of day. There is no complaint so piercing as that of a large rusty nail being extracted from an ancient pine two by four – a bit like the scream of a hawk, as it strikes fear into the heart of its prey.

There is a bit of nostalgia involved every time I see this special tool. The brand name of “Craftsman” was imprinted in the metal on the side of the hammerhead but it has almost been obliterated by the dings and dents from using the side of the head to drive nails in close places. This construction companion of mine has been alongside me through many projects over the years and is still in good shape.

Many, newer hammers of differing types have allured my mind, but I can’t justify their purchase as long as “Frank” is in working order. Please understand that I also own other hammers of different weights but only “Frank” stays in our special place of honor – the kitchen tool drawer.

An amazing instrument and spiritual construction tool is the Word of God - this also can be used to tear down any weapons formed against us. The Bible has no equal when it comes to keeping lives and families together and in good repair. An added bonus is the fact that The Word can be used as a weapon of defense and offense to defeat and even rout satan’s forces – just as the words of its pages says it will do.

When something works exactly the way it says it will, couldn’t that be considered truth? ec

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home