My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, December 01, 2005

languages - 2

I’ve learned much in this field of language, but it has only made me realize how much I didn’t know. I’ve also made some peculiar discoveries as well. These have to do with having several languages within a language. These are what I would call the different tongues of the emotions.

It has been my observation that altogether too many around us speak these languages – especially the hurtful ones. These are the ones of bitterness and hatred with dialects of revenge and cynicism mixed in. Some of humankind has been so oppressed and abused that they are only able to speak words of hopelessness and despair with the colloquialisms of worthlessness and uselessness thrown in.

These defective forms of speech are accompanied by the subtle or not so subtle use of body language, to the detriment of all involved. So much so that the speakers and listeners/watchers believe this is the only form of communication available to them and they make the many definitions of it their lifestyle.

Multitudinous are the darker modes of language but there are some lighter, more joyous forms that when spoken properly, can make life bearable and even fun. The only one of these I would like to expound upon is the language of love. This is probably the most misunderstood and mal-defined of all forms of communications.

Contrary to the defining moments of this love language shown in movies, on TV and in other forms of media, this love thing is not pit you fall into or a tree you fall out of – it’s a decision. Some have spoken a counterfeit love so long and so fluently that they may not even know there is a real one.

There was a time in my life when I was running from God, during this time I also spoke the fake love language but when I met that someone special, my whole method of communication was turned upside down.

The object of my affection was not a mere human, but Jesus, God’s Son. Not only did He define love for me, He was and is the definition of love. I knew that He loved me when I came back to Him, but He also had loved me the whole three years I was running the other way. Only after I experientially knew this love was I able to transfer the proper kind of love onto another human.

Hollywood describes how much one star loves another and they live together or even get married for a few months or years and they tell how brave they are when the separations come and then glorify each new partner they may have. That’s nothing to do with love, at least not the real thing, there is another word altogether for that.

Do I love my wife? Yes, for more than 42 years now, but I would not even know the real definition of love if it were not for the loving sacrifice Jesus made for me. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Wonderful post, and I know you are counting your blessings here. Tis the season for rejoicing in love language, and yours is gift-wrapped.

12/01/2005 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

In the end, it's all about committment, isn't it? Committment must be the engine that pulls the feelings along behind it. We seem to have gotten it all reversed.

12/01/2005 04:45:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Thanks, the only sad thing about Christmas to me is that so many really don't know what it's all about. Plus they won't accept the best gift that God ever gave to humankind - His Son.

AC - Exactly - without committment it's all a farce - and most times a short one at that. ec

12/01/2005 08:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home