My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, December 05, 2005

another thing

We were almost through our recent babysitting adventures and were having mixed emotions about it coming to an end – but I won’t go into all that. While on the way home from taking Megan to school one morning I noticed something that caused a large smile to creep across my face and to stay for a long time. I realized that I was going in the opposite direction of the rush hour traffic. They were going to work and I was returning home – after some few errands. Retirement has a way of making me smile - but then it just doesn’t take much to make me smile.

Alighting from the truck on this particular day, I made my way into the building that contains my one vice – groceries! Most all of the employees of this commercial establishment know me on sight. They have a weekly sales paper that comes in the mail and it is one of the great expectations of my week, to see what is on sale!! Possibly I need another hobby – like maybe bird watching, there are a bunch of old buzzards down at Hardee’s every morning – I mean that in the best sort of way. :o)

Having done my part to keep Bi-Lo prosperous I made my way back to our abode to stow and/or consume portions of my purchases. My outside work has been somewhat curtailed this week due to the babysitting and Carolyn also being under the weather. The working temp is just right and I’m hoping I can get much accomplished a couple of days from now.

Another thing, while gazing longingly out my kitchen window, I have viewed a variety of wildlife over the last week or so. Mostly birds but also a field rat and later in the week, a cat – probably stalking the you-know-what. The cat was walking very softly, unlike a couple of dogs several weeks back. I had just tilled up one bed of my garden to plant the greens and one morning I noticed two rows of dog stomp-prints exactly where the seeds were to be planted. This did not start my day off right, and several very un-Christian-like things crossed my mind to do to the dogs if they returned. Fortunately for them - and maybe me - they didn’t.

Since Saturday last, a week ago, I have been out of the house very little except for errands and church and I’m ready to go out into the yard and kill some weeds. You may not understand this but they have been taunting me from their places of encroachment. Most would not hear their little voices but my ears are well attuned to them. They say things like “What’s the matter, have you hurt yourself again”? – or – “Did you forget how to pull weeds”? I would hate to hear the things they say when I’m not listening. :o)

In spite of the fact that I have been in and out from under the weather for the last couple of weeks myself, I can only say that I have been blessed beyond measure. This because my feelings – or even my health – do not determine my blessings – my faith in our loving Heavenly Father does, and He’s always the same. I know that you can’t see the joy inside me right now but trust me, I can feel it and I am glad! ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Weeding in December, eh? We can tell where you're NOT from, eh?

12/05/2005 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - I know, I know, but if you chipped away the ice there would probably be some there. :) ec

12/05/2005 01:00:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Now, I would love to hear your inner dialogue more often, especially when you are looking around outside...my backyard says "wait until spring".

12/05/2005 04:17:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - My yard yells at me a lot, but sometimes I just don't listen. :) ec

12/05/2005 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

I'm speculating what kinds of things would be "un-Christian" in dealing with marauding dogs... how about a boot in the rear-end? Would that be uncanoninical?

12/06/2005 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Un-Christian inasmuch as I think they are from the neighborhood and my plans had something to do with my shotgun and asking questions later. :) ec

12/06/2005 08:56:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Awesome! You are so encouraging to the girl who's up at 3 AM because of illness and you're making me laugh.

"there are a bunch of old buzzards down at Hardee’s every morning"

"two rows of dog stomp-prints"

Your writing makes me smile. God bless you and I pray that you both stay out from under the weather!

12/07/2005 03:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home