My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, December 04, 2005

the runt

There is a runt in the collard row of my garden. When these plants were purchased they were housed in a 9-cup tray, in which they had sprouted and grown until that time. On further inspection, I took note that there were actually 10 plants in the tray – two were growing in one of the cups. The second one in that cup was a bit smaller.

These extra plants had come to me on other occasions and they usually grow and do well. This was the case with this collard plant also; it caught up with the other ones and is now the same size. But the third plant in the row – one of the bigger plants when planted – is now a runt; something has stunted its growth.

Its place of residence is between two healthy plants with the growth factors – soil, moisture and fertilizer – all the same. It looks healthy but it only measures about 6 inches across whereas all the others are about 2 feet. I’m at somewhat of a loss to understand why it is growing so slowly.

Another growth stunting factor would be the presence of bugs chewing away on the leaves and/or stalk. But visual inspection did not reveal any of these evil little critters. So what caused this plant to be the runt of the litter – or whatever one calls a group of plants?

My mind went deeper into the matter and sought for some tiny, intrinsic yet elusive thing that would have caused some trauma to this plant when it was younger. Could it have been some causal remark I made while planting this green entity that hurt its feelings? It seems to me that I planted them all the same – maybe my attitude wasn’t quite right for just that one moment.

One time when I went out to check on it, I gave it a drink of water and not the others, just to show that I really cared. I hope this is not one of those plants that must be talked to in order to do well. I guess I could go out occasionally and read it a poem or something.

I’ve heard it said that smoking will stunt growth in humans but I haven’t seen this plant smoking. But then I’m not out there every minute, it could have happened at night. Maybe the little collard is worried or stressed out about something. Do they have plant shrinks?

This runt is sounding much too human – I believe a couple of nights of frost will straighten it out – I hear that a good frost will sweeten up collards very well. Some of us humans need some sweetening up on occasion – I wonder if staying out all night in a heavy frost would work on us.

Sometimes we Christians may feel like a runt when faced with satan and his cohorts, but the Word is still true that tells us: “greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.” ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Good metaphors, MrEd. I was the runt of the litter, because I was the smallest twin. But, with age, both of us filled out, and now we compliment each other - she is strong in some things, and I in other things...it all contributes to the big picture.

12/04/2005 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

I've wondered before what it would be like to have a twin. ec

12/04/2005 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

hi, mreddie, just wanted to let you know I've been visiting here. I like your writing and your perspective. Happy to have met you.

12/04/2005 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

susie - Thanks for stopping by and the kind words. ec

12/04/2005 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

I love that one, Mr Eddie.

I'd suggest singing to your plant. :) It's working wonders on my tomatos right now. hehe

And yes.... greater indeed. :)

Praise GOD!

12/06/2005 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

"I hope this is not one of those plants that must be talked to in order to do well. I guess I could go out occasionally and read it a poem or something."

You are cracking me up. I love this entire post, mostly because as a Northerner, I have a very vague idea of what you'd do with Collards. (Eat them right?) But how would you cook them? See, because cooked spinach is ICKY, so how do you keep your collards from being gloppy?

Just wondering. Keep on blogging my friend. You make me laugh!

12/07/2005 03:15:00 AM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I love it! I enjoyed the post, Jayleigh sent me here!!!

12/07/2005 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hi, Jayleigh sent me over. Sorry I don't know anything about collards...maybe you could buy it a special little present or something to show that you care...

12/07/2005 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

pull upward on the plants - they will grow taller, or die, I forget which
Oh well another loon sent to you by Jayleigh

12/07/2005 08:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home