My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

back porch

The phrase ‘back porch’ feels very relaxing to me, even if the back porch of reference is in Cookeville, Tennessee. We are still here for a few more days and as I let the dogs out in the back for a while, I decided to just sit there on the porch, relax and take in whatever sights and sounds that were available.

For a back porch to really be what it ought to be, several conditions should be met. First, the porch should be situated on the house so as not to get the hot afternoon sun. It should only be on the evening sun side of the residence if it is entirely shaded by a huge oak or magnolia tree.

Then the porch needs to be open enough to be available for any breeze that happens along. This would satisfy the near primal need for wind in the face – even if it only is a slight waft of air. But there are those hot steamy evenings, for which the Deep South is noted, in which a breeze wouldn’t dare raise its sweet head. This is the time to go inside and turn on the air conditioner, if one is available.

Another thing necessary for a proper back porch is something to sit in that rocks or swings. This could take any of several forms, an actual swing attached to the ceiling of the porch by chains, a glider rocker or one of several types of rocking chairs.

The present porch of my occupation – or pre-occupation – contains these necessary basic elements. My backside is resting in a wicker rocker as I gaze out with eyes, mind and emotions at the back yard of my older daughter.

Their basic swing/gym set is quietly resting in the growing shadows of evening. This set is of wood and was built from plans and material obtained from the local Lowe’s. It was constructed by my SIL and my daughter’s favorite Dad during a visit several years ago; it still looks in pretty good shape. The trampoline is also in repose, its young bouncers being otherwise occupied at the moment.

The dogs, usually inside, are having a wonderful time of exploring their yard. Because of his age, Bogey doesn’t range very far from the back door and is busy sniffing the scent history of his little corner of the world. Jasmine is the daring wanderer and it seems that she has found something sufficiently smelly in which to roll – and is so doing.

The back yard neighbor is shooting hoops at the end of his driveway, winding down from his work day. A mockingbird just chased a rival away from its chosen turf. Other birds are making their best effort at a natural concert – and doing quite well. A gentle breeze is making the leaves on their trees do a slow dance and all is well in my world – thanks, Father God. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

You make it sound so restful.

5/10/2006 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - And yes indeed it was. ec

5/10/2006 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

In your parlance, is a porch screened in? It usually is in my lingo, but not always I suppose. And then there's deck, balconey, and verandah. Apartment buildings seem to have balconeys while backyards tend to have decks. Maybe verandahs and porches are on the front, but perhaps it's the verandah that's screened in? Oh, who knows? But I think I'm close.

...

Had to look it up. A balconey projects from the wall of a building. A deck is a roofless platform. Porches and verandahs seem to be roofed, and verandahs seem to be screened. I guess I pretty well use the terms correctly by some sort of osmosis ... or sheer, dumb luck.

And you probably spell veranda without the 'h' down there, and that makes a ton of sense. Goodnight. :)

5/11/2006 12:55:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds heavenly :o)

5/11/2006 03:27:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ That porch sounds like a nice place to sit. I am glad you get time to sit!! Is your wife doing all the work? Have a safe trip home when the family return.
Take care, Merle.

5/11/2006 04:14:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - In the old south it was either a porch or was designated a screened-in porch. Of course this was when some of the porches went most of the way around the house - this was in the rural areas. Today's south has few porches that are not screened-in. Very good research, sounds like something I would do when my curiousity is piqued. My daughter's is a small open porch, almost what we used to call a stoop, except a bit bigger.

michelle - It was very relaxing.

merle - My duties had no boundries, I was transportation for GM2, baby feeder and changed most of the diapers, unless I needed help holding flailing arms on a bad poopie one. My relaxing on the porch was of short duration. My daughter and SIL got back in the wee hours this morning. We will probably stay until tomorrow PM. ec

5/11/2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

You made me feel like I was sitting right there with you, ec! :)

You are a very descriptive writer!
I always enjoy your posts.

June

5/11/2006 09:46:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - Thanks, it was a peaceful thing. ec

5/12/2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I stepped out on my back porch a few mornings ago and listened for several minutes to the birds' singing. How did I not realize that Morning Bird Songs are not the same as Afternoon Bird Songs? I think that shows my life is too busy. I need to slow down more often.

5/13/2006 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - So true, we all probably need to slow down and smell the pepperoni. ec

5/13/2006 10:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home