My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

quick trip

Out and about for an early appointment, I find the clouds in very unusual patterns with bands of them partially hiding the recently risen sun but with multi-colored light rays showing through. The appointment was for a checkup on a medical procedure done last month and it was of the type I really like – it was brief – in the waiting room and the treatment room – and all was OK.

The treatment room window looked toward the east from the fourth floor and again I had a chance to admire the cloud patterns. The lower clouds that mostly blocked the sun were grey, but as I raised my view, these formations turned to what appeared like large tuffs of cotton, grey on bottom and white on top and bright from the reflected sun – very pleasing to the eyes.

Very shortly I was out the office door and back on the road homeward. There is still one place on the main road home that has a train crossing and it happened that the barricade went down just as I approached that point. As I watched this rather long train pass in front of me, I couldn’t help but think how much trains have stayed the same and changed all at the same time. The change mostly is in the massive amounts of containerized freight they now haul instead of just the boxcars of the past. This train was mostly that type – some of the containers were a single level but more were stacked two high and with a very few totally empty cars.

These are the same containers that are used on ocean going vessels, then loaded on trains and later placed on trucks for final delivery. Even the engines that pull the cars are different and much more powerful. This is much of a change from my childhood in Cleveland, Tennessee when we had the coal-fired steam engines either pulling or shifting cars around just a couple of blocks over from our house – the old-fashioned ‘choo-choo’ trains.

The old saying goes that we should stop to smell the roses, but in the case of this stop, I had stopped to smell the exhaust fumes. The train finally passed, the gates lifted and we were all on our way. I couldn’t help notice that many more cars were coming into town than were going in my direction – this has to be because of my being retired. It still feels a bit strange on occasion because unless I have an appointment, I have no particular time schedule unless it is self-imposed. This is a good thing.

Came back by the post office to check the mail and even though it was a cloudy day, it felt good to be out, especially since my back problem has eased just a bit. The whole event of the morning was very unusual in that my appointment was at 8am, this was completed, on the 15 minute drive back I got stopped by a train, stopped and checked the mail and still drove into my driveway at 8:35 – wow!

Can a cloudy day be a good one? I say a resounding yes – and one in which to give thanks to the Lord – let us rejoice and be glad in it – I’ve heard that somewhere before. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

The clouds and light you described sound beautiful.

Glad your appointment went so well. Good way to start the day!

God Bless,

Kila

12/06/2006 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I always try to noticed all the little details of my day, whether I am outside or inside. It helps me to thank the Lord for all the little blessings He gives that I might not notice if I am hyper-focused on my schedule. Thanks for reminding me to continue to "stop and smell the roses." :)

12/06/2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - It was a very good sight with which to start any day.

adannells - The little details are sometimes the most beautiful things of all - and so often missed by so many - I'm glad you look for them. ec

12/06/2006 07:31:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Thanks for this post. I think there is something romantic about trains. :)

12/06/2006 08:08:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - In the past the train delay might have bothered me but not any more - I'm retired and I try to enjoy anything I can, anywhere. ec

12/06/2006 08:20:00 PM  
Blogger The very nice man said...

Clouds!?? Oo-oo!! You should blog to my daughter about this
(http://victoria-pi.blogspot.com/)
She loves clouds and has books about cloud formations, etc.!!
As for me . . I am more interested in trains!
Many people say that when God gave out brains I understood 'trains' and asked for a wooden one!!
Gorram cheek!!!

12/07/2006 06:10:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

the very nice man - The beauty God creates, in the clouds or in nature all around us is an awesome thing to me. The old steam engine was facinating because of all the action and noises as it was starting out - us kids would stand and stare wide-eyed in wonder. ec

12/07/2006 07:53:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It is so very nice to be able to proceed at your own pace. After breakfast (which can be late), I like to come upstairs "to work" on the computer for a while.

12/07/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - That is the best of all, to proceed at one's own pace. My breakfast also comes at most any hour of the morning, dictated by when I bounce (ha) out of bed. ec

12/07/2006 12:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home