My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, November 25, 2006

thankful - 2

After exiting the interstate, the rest of the route to my brother’s did contain a fair amount of leftover color, mostly flowering pear trees and some unknown species planted at the entrance to subdivisions. One of these areas contained four unknowns with most of their leaves still decorating the limbs and they were a brilliant orange-red, very pleasing to the eyes. Then there were two hickories that were still almost in full leaf, with the colors ranging from golden to brown – and just before dropping.

The aforementioned flowering pear trees were not actually flowering, this is my way of differing them from the fruiting types. They produce only a small berry – it actually tastes a bit like a pear, but somewhat bitter and very tart. Their leaves in the fall do produce beautiful colors and for that I am thankful. It looked a bit odd but on the corner of one of the side roads a large bush contained a proliferation of orange-red berries that hung in three massive clumps and were in such profusion that it was a magnet to the eyes. Again I was thankful for the beauty.

Arriving at the older bro’s place in a thankfully safe manner, I carried my dishes down to the building that he constructed for just such events as this. About half of the crowd was there and the rest gathered in and the tables were filled with the prepared dishes and the stage was set for a feast. We were called to order, grace for the food was spoken and the consuming began. The food was great but going even beyond was the family members present whose company we could enjoy.

The seasoning of the meal was the accompanying joy, laughter, teasing, the telling of stories and just generally catching up on what we had missed since we last met. All told there 19 attendees and oddly enough, all were adults – the ones with children were unable to be there for one reason or another. Most were the three adult children of older bro and their offspring, with a few other odds and ends thrown in. My generation of siblings number three guys and three gals, the gals were in cities elsewhere but us three bros were present and accounted for.

It was a good gathering, good day, good food and good laughter – what more could you ask except for it to last longer – but the time finally came for me to reluctantly depart for home and our evening gathering to be held there. The Spice needed another item for the meal that she was a little short on and it just happened that I had to pass by a Bi-Lo on the way, so I stopped in for it and wouldn’t you know that it was a buy-one-get-one item – or BOGO and I got a bonus package.

The meal was originally scheduled for about 5pm but had to be shifted back an hour for a family couple to be able to get to the festivities. This was somewhat of a blessing for me since I was still a little stuffed from the noon meal – a little more digesting time. The rest of the trip home was mostly uneventful until I noticed a large hawk circling above the interstate. It was a beautiful, healthy looking bird of prey and I thought maybe it had its eyes on its Thanksgiving meal at that very moment – and I was thankful for having been able to have viewed this creature of God’s creation.

I did bring back some leftover banana pudding so you might be able to guess what at least a portion of my breakfast will be in the morning. Arriving back home safely at about a quarter till four, we set about putting the finishing touches on another joyous Thanksgiving reunion that will happen shortly. God is good and has given much to be thankful for – and I am. TBC ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~ I am glad you enjoyed the meal and time spent with your brothers and other family. And I am sure the dinner at home would be delicious and again good family company. Thanks for your comments, I got rid of the ants, for now. Are the
lady bugs what we call ladybirds.
Small red beetles with black spots.
They don't come inside here. Take care
Merle.

11/26/2006 07:27:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - The whole day was one of great family warmth and very enjoyable. I believe the beetle is the same one, ours try to come inside when it gets cold outside, and too many of them succeed. ec

11/26/2006 05:43:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Another pleasant Thanksgiving celebration, for which I know you humbly give thanks. Now, about that hawk....lets hope his tummy is full too.

11/26/2006 07:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Yes indeed, I am humbled and thankful for our blessings. I dare say the hawk is full and hopefully thankful as well. ec

11/26/2006 08:17:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

So many of my family has gone now and I really miss the huge family gathering we used to have. Happy Thanksgiving!!

11/26/2006 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - Our June reunion is usually the big family event of the year. Thanksgiving is usually smaller and then Christmas a bit less with each family doing its own thing. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving anyway. ec

11/26/2006 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Banana pudding for breakfast? That actually sounds quite refreshing. I wish I had some!

11/27/2006 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mreddie,

Sounds like you had a very full but wonderful Thanksgiving day!

June

11/27/2006 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Refreshing and yummy, I ate it right after my cereal - three mornings straight - I ran out yesterday.

junierose - Yes - one of the best ever - God is good! ec

11/27/2006 09:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home