My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, November 12, 2006

foggy

The word foggy carries several meanings, the first couple being the obvious ones of the misty type. The one I chose for the purposes of this missive would be – blurred or obscured – or vague. A sentence as an example in my case would be – I haven’t the foggiest notion as to where the latter part of last week went. And while this sentence is not totally true because I know roughly what happened, it would definitely fall under the blurred or obscured part of the definition.

The fogginess was caused by a medical procedure that required pain meds and writing under the influence of those would have produced ideas and concepts that would have made even less sense than usual – if that be possible. The recovery from said procedure is well underway and the need for the meds has lifted – whereupon I once again venture forth to trip the light verbalistic.

Couldn’t help but notice that the second definition of a verbalist is a person who is more concerned with words than with ideas or facts – hmmm. Won’t comment on that as it might tend to indicate verbal looseness and indiscretions on my part in the past and/or present.

Traversing back to the first definition of the word foggy, I remember a few times that fog played a part in my life. This would be the misty physical fog and not that of the mental. One particular incidence of reference was in the winter of 1962-63. My place of work and residence was in Lexington, Kentucky but my heart was in Augusta, Georgia. The reason? This was the residence of the one of whom I was enamored and/or smitten. This beloved one was to be the future Spice.

Since the position of the heart and of the physical body was not the same, this necessitated a visit every several weeks. Keep in mind that we had no email or interstates – snail mail and an occasional expensive phone call was our life and love lines. The distance was in excess of 500 miles and took 10 or 11 hours – as the 1962 Volkswagen Bug flew – I didn’t even have a radio in the car.

Most of the trips back home were just long, boring and tiring – the one of reference was all that, as well as foggy for about the last half of the journey. Entering South Carolina found the midnight fog even more dense and this very sparsely populated area was as dark as three shades of sackcloth and the traveling was about like hurtling through blank nothingness with only the center yellow line to guide me. I remember riding the yellow line a good bit to make sure I stayed on the road.

The only point of this story, besides being slightly informational, is that nothing bad happened and I arrived safely. Looking back at this, the thought comes to mind that the Lord looks out for the mentally deficient and the ignorant – whether I was one or both of these that night, I was grateful for His protection. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Whenever I hear the word “foggy” I remember visiting my #1 son when he lived in San Francisco and the beginning words of a mystery novel I once read: “It is a dark and foggy night. On my way to the club, the proverbial question “why do I live in fog-ridden San Francisco?” courses through my mind like a racecar circling the track.”

11/12/2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr.Eddie ~ Glad to see you back and
I hope you are feeling as well as can be expected. Be thankful for the fogginess during that time!!
I am sure all that traveling in your early days has been well worth while in the long run. I have been guilty many years ago of clinging to the centre road marking to stay on the road. We both made it. Take care and
feel better soon. Merle.

11/13/2006 06:20:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm glad the pain has eased and there is less "fog" to bind your words. Have a great week!

11/13/2006 08:28:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I'm glad the fog has lifted. I hope great bouts of sunshine are headed your way.

11/13/2006 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I hate it when my head is foggy. Taking NyQuil when I have a cold will do this to me and there is no way I can function or even think after taking it. It's straight to bed. I am glad you are feeling better and hopefully you won't have to take that medicine anymore in the future. It is so true that the Lord watches over us everywhere we go. :)

11/13/2006 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mreddie,

I'm happy to see you back. :)

Hope ypu're walking in sunshiny days by now.

June

11/13/2006 03:27:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - My army basic training took place in Fort Ord,Calif. - situated between Monterey and Salinas and I do remember a little of the fog in the area.

merle - Yes, it is good to be out of the fog.

brenda - Thanks - and I am trying to do just that.

bonita - Beautiful sunshine today - thanks.

adannells - I take so little medicine that most anything does a number on me. And it is good to have Someone who loves me watching over me.

junierose - The sunshiny days are back - thanks.

11/13/2006 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope you continue to recover at a good pace.

11/14/2006 03:01:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Thanks, this seems to be the case in progress. ec

11/14/2006 07:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home