My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, October 27, 2006


The Surgery Saga Continues. By the evening of the scalp surgery all had settled into somewhat of a routine and the pain of the cutting had subsided to a manageable level. MIL is still recovering from being in the hospital so I stayed with her while BIL went to a doc visit of his own. The Spice is preparing for a colonoscopy on the morrow and was understandably indisposed.

On BIL’s return, I came back home to dine with the crowd on take-out Tex-Mex. “The crowd” in this case was YD and her 4 young ones that had been staying with us since SSIL was out of town for training. We were all eating in a somewhat disorganized manner and all talking at one time. GM1 and her cheerleading friend were suddenly startled by a trick email and then started laughing.

Joining in the laughter in a very hearty manner, I suddenly felt something wet run down the side of my face. The exercise of these scalp muscles was too much for the fresh surgery and I had to grab something to staunch the flow of the red stuff. Direct pressure on the wound site finally brought the leakage to a halt.

The time was after 5pm and I knew my doc had gone home but I called the office anyway. I was directed by the recorded voice to call another number for emergencies, it even spelled out what was an emergency and what was not. Finally got in touch with a real live person and after hearing the story they agreed that this was an acceptable reason to bother the doc.

15 or 20 minutes later my Doctor called me back and told me to come back to the office, that she was still there doing some late work. It was after six by the time I got back to her office and all but one or two of the staff had left for the day, and these left shortly after. She numbed up the site, fried several places with the electric knife and it felt like she added a stitch or two.

She then placed a major stack of gauze and tape to cover about half of the top of my head – it came out looking about like I was growing an antler for a Christmas play. Finally got home after 7pm with my large bandage of courage as well as a fair-sized headache from all the activity. One never knows what a day will bring forth.

With as many surprises as life throws at us, it is good to have the peace of God in our hearts and minds in abundance. ec


Blogger jay are said...

wow...that sounds a bit spooky! Hope all ends/ended well!

10/27/2006 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger itsboopchile said...

That was quite an ordeal you went through. I hope all has calmed down and you will sail through the recovery.
You made my hospital visit a "piece of cake."

Get well quick and don't have any more cancer, anywhere.

My best wishes for an easy colonosophy for your spice.

Betty G

10/27/2006 09:49:00 AM  
Blogger adannells said...

I am so glad you were able to get a hold of the doctor! Get lots of rest so your body can heal! It is so great that you hace such a positive outlook through all of this. I can see that you are truly resting in the Lord. :)

10/27/2006 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jay are - Everything is better now and on the way to healing - that same type thing happened a couple of years ago, maybe I just laugh too robustly. :)

itsboopchile - I've heard it said - anything worth doing is worth doing twice - I'd have preferred it not to have been the stitches. :)

adannells - Had I not been able to get her, I'd have had to wait until morning - that ER stuff is an all night affair. It is always good to rest in the Lord, even through the stitches. :) ec

10/27/2006 03:36:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

This little emergency has not 'left me in stitches', no sir. Very sobering account. And, best wishes to The Spice, she is doing something I'm quite hesitant to do.

10/27/2006 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

I'm having difficulty making heads and tails of you and the Spice.

10/27/2006 07:03:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I trust you had a very good night of sleep after all of that.

10/27/2006 07:34:00 PM  
Blogger Jayleigh said...

I know it's not funny, but I laughed when I read that you were growing an antler.


10/27/2006 07:34:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - It was a bit sobering yet I tend to look at the light side of most anything. The Spice's procedure came out well.

TMG - Now that was hilarious - still chuckling as I write. :)

AC - I wished I could say that I did but I was a bit restless all night.

jayleigh - I tend to laugh at myself when possible and that is what it looked like when I first looked at it in the mirror. :) ec

10/28/2006 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Mr Eddie ~ Sorry you had to go back for more treatment but alls well that ends well. I hope your wife is OK as
that sounds uncomfrotable, but worth it if all is well. My best to you both. Take care, Merle.

10/29/2006 07:27:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Ouch, ouch, and OUCH! I'm sorry I didn't drop in to add my prayers to successful surgery on your noggin but I'll send some up for a speedy recovery if that's ok with you. Hang in there and no more jolly laughs till the healing's over, k?

10/30/2006 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose said...

Hope all is well with you and your family.

I don't see any recent posts here!


10/31/2006 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

I hope your recovery goes well. Know that I am thinking of and praying for you in this time.

10/31/2006 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Thanks, so far, so good and yes that is a very uncomfortable procedure for the Spice.

brenda - Recovery is good - and I'm trying to tone down the heartiness of the laughter just a bit. :)

junierose - Thanks for the concern, we are about out of the woods now and I'm posting tonight.

tim rice - It's looking good so far, thanks for your thoughts and prayers - they are always needed. ec

10/31/2006 08:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home