My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, October 09, 2006

farrago

The word farrago didn’t exist for me until just a few days ago when I accidentally stumbled on it in a search for another word. One of the meanings is ‘a confused mixture’ and it seemed to very much fit my writings for this day and therefore became the title.

If today is truly the first day of the rest of my life, I wonder why I didn’t notice this fact yesterday? Or maybe yesterday was the first day and I didn’t even realize it, and by not paying attention, it caused me to miss an entire day of the rest of my life – I’ve just got to start being more alert.

While pondering various things the other day, I realized that all of my ancestors were dead. More thought brought me to the fact that exactly half of my ancestors were women! One of these days I guess I will be an ancestor as well. In fact, considering that the definition of an ancestor is a person from whom one is descended, I may be one right now. Or does one have to be dead to be an ancestor?

There is so much hoopla about redefining marriage and such that one day they may even outlaw marriage. But when marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will have in-laws (I read this last sentence somewhere). Then that brings us to an unusual phenomenon about having children – if your parents didn’t have any kids, chances are that you won’t have any either.

Ran across an old saying the other day that reminded me about something my father used to do that was a common practice back then. When the coffee was too hot, he would pour some into his saucer, blow on it until it was ready to drink and then sip it from the saucer. The old saying was that when something had been “saucered and blowed”, it meant it was now ready for use.

Found this in one of the Sunday newspaper sections of a while back. “Studies have found that hugging, handholding and other forms of TLC ease anxiety by calming areas of the brain that register alarm – and can even lower blood pressure, too.”

Virginia Satir said: “For human beings, you need two hugs a day to survive, four hugs for maintenance, six hugs to grow.”

Upon typing ‘hugging’ into a search engine, I found tons of sites declaring the benefits of hugging. Hugs are declared to be healing to the mind, emotions and body. I’ve been a hugger as far back as I can remember – starting with a hugging family, then we have a hugging church (the people therein, not the building itself) and in the last few years it has become OK for guy friends outside the church to hug. I didn’t know how much health and well being I had been spreading over the years, I just knew that it felt good to hug.

The whole world seems to be crying out for someone to care about them and the least we can do is to give someone a hug. I do believe that God approves of hugs. ec

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree with your post on hugging. Our chuch is also a hugging church. I go in and right away ladies start hugging me, and they just keep coming. I love them all.
Now I have been known to hug a man in church, usually some pastor.
But at my age, I can do it!!!

Keep on hugging!!!
Betty G

10/09/2006 05:30:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I've noticed that abundant 'smilers' give abundant hugs...there is a direct relationship. And, I would hope everyone gets a good back scratching and foot rubbing to round out one's blessings.

Gee, what a wonderfully written post, MrEddie. You must be basking in some sunshine.

10/09/2006 08:20:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

boopchile - It is so strange how such a simple act of hugging can do so much good to others. I'm an incurable hugger.

bonita - It would seem to me that a hug is just a smile acted out with the arms. The sunshine I'm basking in is the spiritual kind, the warming light of the love of God. ec

10/09/2006 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

mr eddie... thank you for this!!! Hugging is awesome and so many people "don't like to be touched" or "have issues with germs"... my guess is that they'd not have half their issues if they just got a hug once in a while...

Thanks for an entertaining and thought provoking post. Now I have to go hug my church. Building. ha

10/09/2006 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

The ones that don't like to be touched are probably the ones that need the hugs the most. Now go hug that building. :) ec

10/09/2006 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

what a great post....Hugs, indeed, are wonderful.

10/10/2006 02:28:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~ You have a fascination with words, which is fine. Farrago in my dictionary says "medley" or "hotch potch. So I guess most of us have a farrago life with all the good and bad
things that happen. Thanks for your comment and I am looking forward to having my cousin visit. Take care, Merle.

10/10/2006 03:07:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jay are - They are indeed - and healthy as well.

merle - Yes, farrago does happen in all our lives, it's our attitude toward the happenings that can make us happy or ruin our day. ec

10/10/2006 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hugs are nice. I don't come from a hugging family but rather better at it now. But there's still room for improvement.

10/11/2006 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Hugs are good - better to be a later on hugger than a non-hugger. :) ec

10/13/2006 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Amy Pearson Photography said...

You've hooked me on your blog, fellow dictionary reader! I love your use of the English language - such an uncommon thing but SO refreshing.

Thanks for your visit. I'll try to keep up on the "figitisms." :o)

10/15/2006 01:05:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

fannie - I try to have variety, but I do enjoy booting the words around a bit. :) ec

10/15/2006 09:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home