My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

exercise

Back in the summer, late June I think, I injured my ankle while mowing on the hill behind our residence. This painful joint was nursed along with much carefulness for quite a while. It seemed to slowly get a bit better, or at least I could walk without great gimpiness, but it still wasn’t quite right.

All this while I had backed off on my exercise program and the longer I went without exercise, the worse I felt all over. Since I am not exactly a spring chicken (that means I’m old) and I knew how important exercise was for health, well-being and maybe even a bit of longevity, I decided to start back, gimpy ankle and all.

My routine was to be one night of exercise – stretches, exercises and light weights – with the next evening of walking about 30 minutes. My weights and stuff was already set up from before but I had to find a place to walk nearby. Since my in-laws live behind and across the pond from our house and their driveway is fairly long, I decided to measure that and use it as the walking track.

Since I just happened to have a measuring wheel, I rolled it down the driveway to get a reading on the distance. As it turned out, the distance from the street to the end of the drive at the rear of their house was just a little over 2 tenths of a mile and a good distance to walk additional laps to add up to as much mileage as one would want to walk. All but the first walk has been two miles for me.

This is the third week of my program and the old body is just now starting to feel a bit better from the efforts. The first week was one of feeling like I had been carefully and thoroughly beat with a rubber hose – it was not good. The second was just a bit better, not great, but I was seeing the tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I did hope that the light wasn’t the headlight of a locomotive.

Every night when I go to the basement to check the doors, I also do 30 reps on our ab-lounger – every little bit helps. At my age, if you don’t keep going, you won’t be able to keep going for long. It also helps us to exercise the brain to keep that part of the body in good shape for as long as we can.

There is another part of us humans that many people don’t seem to recognize as being there – or at least it doesn’t seem to be important to them. This is the spiritual part, the spirit and soul, which will live on for eternity – long after this body of ours has returned to dust. This part also needs exercise and for this we have a Book of instructions. If the instructions are followed to the letter, we will not only never die but we will be in great shape all of that time. ec

11 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Exercise of all kinds is important.

Thanks for the good wishes.

9/28/2006 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is so easy to lose the habit of exercise—physical, mental, and spiritual. I know, for I have misplaced those habits time and time again.

9/28/2006 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

good post; good reminders.

9/28/2006 12:51:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Yes, at my age I have to use it or lose it when it comes to staying fit.

SSN - I can so relate to what you're saying - good habits are so easy to break and so hard to start back.

jay are - One thing I need everyday is reminders - I could put a post-it note on my forehead and then forget it was there. :) ec

9/28/2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

"feeling like I had been carefully and thoroughly beat with a rubber hose"

I like your subtle sense of humor. hehe

9/28/2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I love exercising. I know what you mean about feeling awful when I don't exercise. It's good that you are able to stick with it even though it was a little painful at first. And it is so true that we need to exercise our spiritual life as well. If we don't we get weak in our spiritual walk. Praying and reading the Bible are a good start to good spiritual health. :)

9/28/2006 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful reminder.

I'm saying, Betty, get busy, do something, anything. Listen to the man!!!

Betty G

9/28/2006 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

You have company: I have to work to stay active and limber, and it is not easy! When I wake in the morning, I'm so stiff and tender. It takes most of an hour, moving to real feel good again, where I can mow the yard and do heavy work. It is this stiffening part that is new, and walking really helps. Even sitting in the car for a half hour causes stiffening, and I really look old trying to get out of it.

I'm glad you are taking good care of yourself.

9/28/2006 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I once heard it said that your body is ready to do whatever it was doing two weeks ago. Seems to be true in your case. I need to move more too.

9/29/2006 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

My brain is about the only thing getting exercise lately,,unless you count those days of running after Jilly Beans.

9/29/2006 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - Not that I have ever been beat with a rubber hose, but I felt like I can imagine that it felt like. :)

adannells - Exercise, even the spiritual kind, is a hard habit to keep but pays great dividends.

boopchile - I've heard it said that if you can only move a little, keep moving that much and pretty soon you can move more, etc.

bonita - You are describing some of my mornings when it takes me a while to loosen up and really get moving. Wasn't so bad before I got to be an old codger.

AC - My body just wants to sit or lay around, two weeks ago and now. :)

brenda - The brain needs the exercise as well - then maybe the brain can talk the body into it also. :) ec

9/29/2006 11:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home