My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, September 25, 2006

family miscellanea

YD’s mate – SSIL – came up with a saying that would explain the news gathering efforts of some media personnel – ‘Assumptions are the answer to a lazy man’s search for facts’. Since I call my wife Spice, SSIL started calling YD his zest, defined as – ‘keen relish; hearty enjoyment; gusto.’ They have several young ones that could be identified as zestfulness personified.

Being an engineer, SSIL does some of his work with a team. SSIL had completed a portion of the work on his own and one of the team members was chiding him by using the old cliché ”there is no ‘I’ in team”. To which he responded, “But there is an ‘I’ in time, so for the sake of time I decided to do it myself”. She had no response – not used to original thought I guess.

YD had a back seat driver the other day when from his car seat GM3 told his Mom to ‘speed down, speed down’. YD laughed and told him that he had said an oxymoron. A what? An oxymoron. He seemed pleased that he found a new word and repeated it several times. No doubt he is a young budding etymologist. Not sure what caused his initial response – possibly YD’s foot was a bit heavy on the go pedal.

Several times now, as GM4 is getting out of the tub, he looks at his hands and tells his Mom – “I’m pruning, I’m pruning!” GM1 recently got contact lenses – afterwards her Mom told her that she looked different with contacts – GM1 said, “Well, everybody else looks the same.”

Saturday, September 23rd, was PN’s day of deliverance and through the medium of a C-section; her twins came into the world. Both being born shortly after noon, Baby A weighed in at about 6 pounds, 4 ounces with Baby B tipping the scales at 5 pounds, 13 ounces. They both came in separate delivery packages, so they were not identical.

We went by the hospital Sunday p.m. and being their great uncle, I got to hold the itty-bitties – not at the same time, of course. They both slept through the whole ordeal of all the kin coming in and admiring them. Later on at church that evening, I related their weights to a friend in the medical profession and he said these were very healthy sizes for twins.

I continue to be amazed and blessed by the young ones – they are a gift from God. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Yes indeed, a very healthy weight for twins. As I can fit the category, I'll disclose the lowest weight I've ever been, when mother took me home from the hospital in 1944 - 3 lbs. and 11 oz. My twin, much more robust was a 5 lb. 4 oz. heavy-weight. But alas, 62 years later, I am a good 7 lbs healthier than her, and it took retirement to make the difference!

9/25/2006 08:48:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

What good news; I'm glad mom and babes are doing well. That is a good weight for twins.

Congratulations to all.

9/25/2006 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Congrats Great Uncle! Now you must start thinking of all the neat things you can teach them.

I'm forever amazed at the vocabulary words children can come up with. We have one grandaughter who's 3 going on 30 and she comes up with some really good ones.

9/26/2006 08:33:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - The twins and their Mom got to go home today - all seem to be healthy - one twin does have a bit of jaundice but will be treated with sunlight at the present. Retirement made a difference in me as well, possibly a few pounds worth.

granny - Thanks - not only did they go home today - they went home to a brand new house. They were trying to desperately to get moved in before the babies came but didn't quite make it. The family (and their church) chipped in and got their belongings in and at least unpacked. It might be a while before she can find some things though. :)

brenda - Thanks - I already know a lot of stuff to teach them, but they are going to have to get a little older though. I'm constantly amazed and amused by the three young ones we have living nearby. ec

9/27/2006 08:05:00 PM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

What fun anecdotes of daily life with kids! Sounds like they keep you smiling and keep you young!

Happy Weekend!

9/29/2006 03:43:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

yours truly - They will keep you young, if they don't make you old first. :) ec

9/29/2006 11:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home