My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, September 15, 2006

GM4

Wednesday, September 13th, came into being as a very memorable day inasmuch as what the weatherman predicted actually came to pass – it rained. All activities were put on rain delay except for the inside ones – of which there were many. The Spice was up and out early for a doc appointment, she swooped by YD’s and picked up GM4, since he had an appointment as well and YD’s crowd was ailing – some kind of viral thing.

My day cranked up in its usual slow fashion – but I’m grateful that it did crank. After taking in nourishment for the physical and spiritual parts of me, I wandered into my small study/computer room to see what sort of communications might have come in on this electronic marvel.

The Spice called when on the way home from her doc appointment and told me that GM4 was desirous of coming to ‘Granna’s house’. Granna happens to be another of the aliases of Spice and the call was more or less a courtesy one for me to prepare myself to entertain the young one. We checked it out with YD and that was fine too, since she had her hands full with the ailing ones.

GM4 is the one that will be three in November and is quite the live wire as is the custom of boys his age. In due time they arrived and the first thing he wanted to do was to go downstairs and play. There are containers of toys upstairs and down and at the moment he is in his downstairs phase. Of course he wanted ‘Pop-pop’ (my alias) to go down with him and if you are a grandparent, you know what I did – I went down with him.

The first thing he did was to turn the toy box upside down and dumped them all out, so as not to miss any toy that happened to be hiding in the corners. This was a semi-acceptable practice and I had a TV in that location so I turned it on. This was a wasted motion since he wanted me to actively play with him – whether I felt active or not.

There was the car that flipped over if you rolled it fast enough, then the golf game with plastic clubs and blocks and even the play blow dryer that I had to use on his hair. Of course he wanted to use it on me as will – another wasted motion considering the small amount of hair I have available. Also there was the small tricycle that he asked me not to let his brother get – his brother was not here.

It became naptime and he went down with very little protest – I must have worn him out. He slept over two hours, awoke to eat a snack and finally decided that he wanted to go home to see his Mom. In route home he did admit that he wanted to also see his brothers and sister.

Being around these young ones will either make you feel older or younger, happier or more frustrated, wiser or dumber, but you won’t come away from the experience just feeling the same old way. Not exactly sure of all that I felt, but being with him (and them) was a good thing and I felt blessed to have been present. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Tim Rice said...

Ah, little ones are a blessing even if tiring or frustrating at times. Gotta love them.

9/16/2006 08:26:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are blessed indeed.

9/16/2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I wish I saw a little more of my grandkids who live in the same city. They're teens now and lead busy lives.

Of course I see a lot of the "greats".

Thanks for your comment. I'm feeling better.

9/16/2006 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Ahh- ec- 3 is a wonderful age for a grandson!
I remember it well! :)

Junie

9/16/2006 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - So true - just yesterday I was falling apart in hilarity at the antics of the youngest one that lives nearby.

AC - Yes - God is good - the grands are a blessing even when not on their best behavior.

granny - When they are older one has to just take what they give. I'm proud of you for being there for your "greats" - I'm sure that takes a lot out of you, but in the long run it will be worth it. Glad you are feeling better.

junierose - True, they are like little sponges, taking in everything - and then repeating it back at the oddest times. :) ec

9/18/2006 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Our grandson lives with us and I sure hope The Good Lord allows me to see this through to his adulthood. The 7 granddaughters go home after their visits but make themselves quite at home while they're here.

9/18/2006 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - My oldest granddaughter lived with us the first six years of her life - it was quite a heartache when my daughter got married and moved out. ec

9/19/2006 09:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home