My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, September 08, 2006

garden battles

Wednesday morning found me on location at the home of YD to sit with GM3 and GM6 while YD took GM4 for a doctor visit. Putting GM6 down for a nap and with GM3 watching a video, peace and mostly quiet ruled the airwaves. One of my favorite things is quiet airwaves, since that seems to be how sound travels. Though it is hard to see, quiet is easy to detect since the absence of noise will allow a person to hear it.

Upon the return of YD and GM4, I launched forth into the world of commerce – I went by Kroger’s for some grocery items. For years now I have done the grocery shopping for two important reasons – a) I don’t mind and sometimes rather enjoy it and – b) the Spice detests going to these sustenance supply buildings. Wandering back to the home front, we got ready to have MIL and BIL over for a late lunch or an early supper – homemade hamburgers and oven potatoes – yum!

On the backside of this time and a bit during, we kept GM6 since he was in great need of a nap and YD had a school function to attend. He was not a happy camper but finally settled for a nap of medium length as opposed to the better ones of long length – but the one he took was better than one of short length. He was retrieved a while later and a youngun-less condition existed once again – hours passed and we settled in for a long summer’s nap.

Thursday a.m. arrived unannounced and after breaking the fast, I drug my carcass outside to do battle with the green invaders of my garden area. Why – you might ask – would you want to get on hands and knees to rip out the encroaching grass and weeds this late in the season? To the which I would answer that I don’t want to deal with their offspring next year – or with as few of them as possible.

A reason for the hands and knees part is because I want to get out as many roots as I can. Some of these evil growths will sprout from the roots if these are not removed. Since the plants only breathe dirt, I put them on the refuse pile, in a condition of air only, and they asphyxiated and wilted in the sunshine. Their deceased forms will eventually decompose and return to the soil from whence they emanated and therewith enrich the spot of their final resting place.

These battles took place between showers and during the sprinkles I would come into the garage to prepare seed for storage over the winter. The dried okra pods were split open and the small, round, olive green seeds were encapsulated in a container and placed in the freezer. The crookneck squash pulp and seed had been placed on a paper to dry. The seed, now dry, was separated from the pulp, containerized and also placed in the freezer.

Even though I have planted a garden every year but one for the last 35 years, it has always amazed me that these small seeds sprout and become a veggie bearing plant next season. God does all things well. ec

11 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

- This post is on your blog twice.

- "Their deceased forms will eventually decompose and return to the soil from whence they emanated and therewith enrich the spot of their final resting place." Your choice of words always makes me giggle. You find such delight in seemingly ordinary things, but in so doing, bring out their estraordinary-ness.

- And God does do all things well.

9/08/2006 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - Indeed I do delight in most everything I discover, whether it be in creation or even in a dictionary. God created it all and my job is to marvel at His many creations and in my own way, give Him praise. :) ec

9/09/2006 12:13:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Hamburgers and oven potatoes. Now that sounds good to me.

9/09/2006 01:08:00 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I also really enjoy going to the "sustenance supply building". :) I really like shopping for all the ingredients that I am going to use for my meals the next week especially when I am cooking something new that I have never made before.

9/09/2006 02:06:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - They were excellent and enjoyed by all involved.

adannells - The grocery shopping can be an adventure (more fun that way) and I go to the automated check out lines, this way I can see that I am getting the special prices instead of zip, zip, and not knowing until later. ec

9/09/2006 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Thanks for your comment. I don't have a gun in my house and this is the first year I've even allowed my girls a bright plastic water pistol.

They still know what a gun looks like and that they are never, ever to touch one. There is no such thing as an unloaded gun.

Even a BB gun. A child could have lost an eye over that. We were lucky the girls were just bruised.

I'm not against hunting (for others) - just don't want anything to do with guns for myself.

9/09/2006 03:18:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Once upon a time I dreamed of having a youngun-less condition. Now I can only hope it happens before they put me in the box.

Watching things grow only reinforces my belief in God every time it happens.

9/09/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

ec,


I gave up on ridding my garden of weeds weeks ago! The weeds WON this time!

9/09/2006 05:54:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - So true, they can be very dangerous, even deadly.

brenda - "Dreams are a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep. . " - that sounds so much like Disney - that and the once upon a time part. The growing stuff is awesome to me.

junierose - These weeds were well on the way to winning - and the battle is still not won, but in that particular skirmish I came out ahead. Still a long way to go - I think I mentioned that they got ahead of me when we were in Texas. ec

9/09/2006 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Having just had a battle with my back yard—including 15’ tall weeds—and won (at least temporarily) I now understand what the pioneers who first settled on this hill 225 years ago went through.

9/10/2006 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - The weeds never rest, but it's good to have even small victories. 15' tall? That sounds like fennel or one of those that I call a weed-tree (sumac?). ec

9/11/2006 11:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home