My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, August 28, 2006

omens?

The morning began like many others, dragging my nearly ancient frame out of bed and wandering to the kitchen to break the fast. Curious as to what the weather of the day looked like, I opened the blinds to have a look-see. When what to my wondering eyes should appear – perched atop one of the crossbars of the trampoline safety net fence – but a large hawk.

This looked to be the same type and maybe the same bird of prey that I wrote about just before Christmas last year. My imagination being what it is, I wondered if this feathered creature was just resting and using this for a vantage point or if it was contemplating involving itself in the recreational opportunities of the trampoline.

The bird perched there at least 10 more minutes, very still except for the head turning side-to-side almost 180 degrees. This neck flexibility is something that I envied because many times I wake up somewhat cramped and stiff and cannot turn the neck much without a bit of discomfort. This problem is necessitating a visit to the spinal manipulator in the near future.

After the departure of this sharp-eyed creature, my mind pondered that if I were one to believe in omens and signs, what would this one mean? I was surprised to learn that one of the meanings of the word auspice was a divination or prognostication, originally from observing birds.

Could the fact that the bird was perched facing north mean that this was a harbinger of an ill wind blowing in from the north or just that all his prey was in that direction since its back was facing the brick wall of my house? Could the fact that it was perched there at all be an indication that some evil was lurking about, just ready to pounce or that it was just tired and needed a quiet place to rest?

When it flew away, was it a portent that some soul dear to us was about to leave on a permanent journey or that it was hungry and the hunting was poor in this area? Did the fact that it was now gone and not there anymore presage that we would soon be gone and not here anymore or did it just mean that it was gone and not there anymore?

Any dependence that I might have been tempted to have in augury was changed and cancelled out many years ago by a better way of living. Simply put, the better way is to have an up-close and personal relationship with the Son of the living God, Jesus Christ. His ways are far above all our ways and will guide us the right ways if we consent to follow. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree! It’s impossible to live in and enjoy the present moment if one is looking for signs and omens regarding the future.

8/28/2006 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Yes, enjoy today with God provisions, tomorrow is in His hands anyway. ec

8/29/2006 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I'll leave the chicken entrails for someone else, thanks.

Re soup. I updatd my post to explain that my friend Sothis lives in Belgium where is is becoming dank and drizzly.

Hence that soup. We're still hovering at 95° up.

8/29/2006 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ I used to hate hawks with a passion many, many years ago
because we had a poultry farm and they would take little chickens if we did not keep our eyes open. I don't see them these days. Crows were another problem with the chickens. Yours
was probably just having a rest(BEFORE
LOOKING FOR LITTLE CHICKENS)Thanks
for your comment about my cousin.
Take care, Merle.

8/29/2006 05:41:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Amen! Thanks for sharing that, Eddie! God is awesome!

8/29/2006 05:30:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Crows are a good omen on rooftops in Buddhism. Perhaps your hawk had good intentions...but, most are looking for chickens.

8/29/2006 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - So true, who needs the prediction of chicken entrails when you have Christ. I don't even like chicken entrail soup - if there is one. :)

merle - We do have some field rodents (that sounds better than rats) and possibly it was trying to locate one of those. We don't have any chickens nearby.

jayleigh - You are welcome, the fact of His awesomeness has grown much clearer as I age and realize the things of His creation and His love for us.

bonita - There are no chickens around but it just dawned on me that there are geese and one duck on the pond - maybe I should count them again. ec

8/29/2006 10:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home