My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, August 21, 2006

going home - day 1

On August 16th, Wednesday came just about as usual, right after Tuesday, and came without any great fanfare – but what is fanfare that early in the morning – annoying. It was greeted in somewhat of a newborn puppy way – eyes not quite open. This was our last full day with OD in Texas and one in which no large projects remained for the doing. Future projects were discussed and a kitchen drawer was repaired to mostly sum up the day’s activities.

We mostly just ‘hung out’ and ‘chilled’ – just being with family is a good thing. The Spice and I did watch after GM5 while OD took GM2 to the doctor after she got out of school that afternoon. Then like veggies in the frig; we just chilled until we crashed for the night.

Thursday, our going home day, came without fanfare as well and we packed up to leave while OD carpooled GM2 and other young ones to school. OD returned, we finished loading the van and with heavy hearts departed for South Carolina about 9:25am.

Since it was just too far to drive comfortably in one day, we made reservations for that night in the Mobile, Alabama area. This destination was just a bit over 500 miles and roughly the halfway point of the trip. We arrived at the ‘halfway house’ about 6:30pm and unloaded just enough for the night.

We partook of our evening meal at O’Charlie’s, located just across the parking lot of our motel. It seems that our cell phone service had been very spotty at best – possibly due to the damage from hurricane Katrina last year. After eating, we came to the conclusion that we would have to receive calls on the phone in our room – and passed this number along to the concerned ones in the brief moments we had cell phone contact.

We then went back to the room and waited for the calls to come rolling in and nothing happened. After a while we called the front desk and found out that several calls had come in but they were unable to connect them to our room – something wrong in the communication system. The desk person finally brought another phone to our room and changed it out – only then did the expected calls come in and a few calls later, several kinfolks were reassured that we were OK.

In any kind of relationship, genuine two-way communication is a necessity. Whether this communication be between husband and wife, parent and child, friend and friend or any person to any person, we must be able to grasp what the other person is really meaning by what they are saying. This same type communication is essential between our God and us. Without it, a real relationship is impossible and any benefit of claiming to know God is negligible and meaningless. ec


Blogger Bonita said...

Yes, frank, honest, and loving communication is essential in relationships if they are to grow.

I know your extended family was sad to see you leave, and I know they appreciated everything you repaired. I hope your journey home is pleasant.

8/21/2006 04:23:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We just got home (again) too. Have a safe restof the way.

8/21/2006 04:36:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - We are home now, I was writing the after the fact adventure. I'm usually a couple of days behind. :)

AC - We had a safe trip - even though from today's and tomorrow's writings we were in route. ec

8/21/2006 07:59:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I figured you were at home since today is Monday and your post hasn't been up that long.

Glad your journey (and Anvilcloud's as well - Hi there AC) was safe and pleasant.

8/21/2006 08:25:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - The trip was safe and pleasant, it was just way too long. And they are way too far away - and I miss them. ec

8/21/2006 08:34:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Thanks for your comment. I noticed from the replies that most of us "senior" cooks came out as novices.

No problem; there's a vast difference between a decent family cook and a chef. I said my food was "comfortable or familiar" and I imagine so did you.

8/21/2006 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm glad ya'll are home safe and sound after your working adventure.

It amazes me how dependent we are on our ways of communication these days cause I still remember when one had to have a great yelling voice or good walking shoes to relay messages and assurances.

8/21/2006 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Yours truly said...

I'm so glad you got to spend time with your family! And, good communication is essential to any relationship--whether long distance or short. Hope your week has started out well!

8/22/2006 02:17:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Welcome home, even though the family will miss you and you will miss them. It is not easy
when loved ones live so far away, a lot of mine are nearly twice the distance, approx 2 days of 10 hours.
Thanks for your comments, I study 2 or 3 Specials before I go shopping and decide which is the better deal We have Bi-Lo too but it is too far, a pity because they have the best deals.Take care, Merle.

8/22/2006 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - At this time in my life, foods that are 'comfortable and familar' are good things. I'm not much for all the highly seasoned or spiced ones - gives me heart-burn.

brenda - Thanks, it's good to be back. We have become so dependent on these cell phones that it's hard to imagine life without them, but I too remember having no phone and having to go to the general store to even use one.

yours truly - The family time was great. And the week has started well, except being a little tired - I must be getting old. :)

merle - Hope your shopping day was good - our daughter picked up a few items for us so I may not even have to go out today - except in the yard to spiffy up the plants. ec

8/22/2006 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home