My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, August 10, 2006

the journey - 3

We were late getting our bodies cranked up the next morning (Sunday) and it was about 11am before we finally got back on the road again. We had fueled and just got on I-10 West when we espied a sign that a Waffle House was ahead. We got off the highway and promptly almost creamed someone that pulled directly across in front of us. This served to awaken any part of me that even thought about being remotely drowsy.

After our delightful (?) meal, we got back on the interstate and headed west. After just a few miles, traffic slowed to a crawl and finally stopped altogether. We had brought some books on CD and put in one of these to pass the waiting time. The traffic finally started to crawl again and since all the truckers got into the left lane, I did as well. Several miles later we came up on an accident scene with an 18-wheeler off the road. We then got back up to highway speed; it had taken an hour and a half to go 24 miles.

We crossed a long bridge that spanned about 20 miles of swamp and marsh – though it is hard to tell the difference between these two boggy places. We continued with our travels and listened to the book, being entertained as the miles passed. On through the remnants of Louisiana, we finally crossed the Texas border. After a fair amount of miles and as we neared Houston, we exited onto one of the beltways around that city – highway 8.

This road turned into a toll road and we paid about 4 of these while on our route. Being ‘country come to town’, we missed our turn off and went about 10 miles too far, calling SIL, he directed us back to our route. As it turned out we had paid one too many tolls and then had to pay it again when we retraced our route. Looking back, the exit came quicker than we had expected and we passed it while absorbed in an interesting part of the book to which we were listening.

We had no more trouble and followed directions straight to their house. We were joyously greeted by OD, SIL, GM2 and GM5. For me, it was just wonderful to be off the road after about 8 hours of travel on three days in succession. Plus I felt blessed of God to have had a safe trip. ec


Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Wow What a lot of driving, no wonder you were tired. But
it must have been great to see all the
rellies, and then your own family.The posts have been very interesting.
Thanks for your comments about Me again Margaret. Peter and I say that to each other if we ring a few times in a row. Safe driving, take extra
care, Merle.

8/10/2006 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Glad you're safely at destination after all that.

8/10/2006 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Yes, I can imagine you were relieved to stop driving; you must have a cell phone to get those directions. We always bring two, and one is always off, to save the battery in case of an emergency. We also like the books on tape, and of course, that public radio broadcast, "Car Talk", my favorite.

8/10/2006 06:48:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - The visiting has been great with rellies, both the distant and the close ones - especially these very close ones.

granny - The trip was quite an ordeal but it is good to be with OD, SIL and the 'grands'.

bonita - We have to cell phones as well but mostly only use one. We brought three books and have yet to finish one, but will probably finish at least two of these on the trip back. "Car Talk" is my favorite as well.

8/10/2006 11:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home