My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

KS - an ending

On November 22nd of 1963, I had worked a night shift and was at home watching TV – we only had two channels back then (no cable) – when the news flashed on the screen about John F. Kennedy being killed. A little later I was still watching when the supposed killer was also killed.

Many theories and counter theories have been offered and bandied about, but I rest assured that God will always bring about justice – in His own time and way. Some stay so involved in the past or who did what and when that they miss a whole bunch of today - and maybe a good bit of tomorrow. This would be concerning the JFK thing or any other mystery, even their own life problems and circumstances.

We had been shopping for a house all along, but found none that really seemed to be just right. My brother found a small house for us at 1404 Maddox Street, just off Wrightsboro Road – near the Lily Tulip cup plant. It was a VA repossession and looked pretty rough, but I saw what it could become and finally talked Mrs. C into it. It required much cleanup, sheetrock work, hardwood floor refinishing and a lot of paint, but it was structurally sound and had a new roof. Everyone needs a good roof over their head, literally and figuratively.

We started a crash program to get the house finished on the inside, and I could finish the outside later. With much help from my older brother and with me burning the candle at both ends, we finally got the house livable. On one occasion I had worked midnights, worked all day on the house, slept about two hours and tried to go back to my job. I said tried because I couldn’t get out of bed since the room was spinning too fast – I had “hit the wall” physically. I had to call in sick and then went back to sleep for over twelve more hours straight.

We were able to get out of our apartment lease a month early and finally got moved into our own little place. My shift work made it nearly impossible for me to be involved in any kind of church ministry like I really wanted to be. In answer to prayer I got a call from Southern Bell (later to become BellSouth) and began work with them on July 20, 1964 – on the day shift – God is good! This is the same company I retired from on July 1, 2002 – almost 38 years later.

It’s hard to find a stopping place to our story since it still continues, so I will just end the “keepsakes” (KS) narrative here. We have lived happily ever after – more or less – more of the more than of the less. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Looking back sometimes I wonder how we did all we did and made it through. I'm thinkin it was because we followed the path He made for us (although in my case I'm sure he looked down and shook his head in awe at my stupidity a time or two, or three.)

8/01/2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

You were industrious, and goal oriented....and I'm sure glad you got that good nap. We must know when to quit and take care of ourselves.

I would have loved to see before and after photos of that little house.

8/01/2006 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Thanks for sharing that bit of your life with us. I, too, find that sometimes I try to do more than I can.

8/01/2006 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - I'm sure I have got a few head shakes at my ignorance as well. He has brought us this far not because of me, but in spite of me.

bonita - The nap was demanded by my body and it wouldn't take no for an answer. :) We moved from that house in 1970 and into the state of SC. We go by there on occasion and see that someone is still living there and they have made several improvements.

tim rice - Our bodies have ways to let us know when it has had enough but most of us have pushed the limits at times. ec

8/01/2006 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Thanks for your comment. They like Happy Meals because of the toys although they've all but outgrown them. Last vestige of real childhood as the enter the tweens and teens.

And I believe in moderation. An occasional french fry won't hurt them but forbidden fruit is all too attractive.

8/02/2006 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Thank you for sharing these stories of your life with us.
They have been very interesting.
Thanks for comments about it slways being important to say the right thing. How true is that? Take care,
Merle.

8/02/2006 03:34:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - I remember my youngest daughter clinging to her Barbies in secret for a couple of years after her peers had finished with them. Or maybe her peers were holding to this part of childhood on the sly as well. :) Tweens and teens are a good name for the age.

merle - You are welcome - I enjoyed reliving many of these pages myself. A few would be better forgotten, but they were a part of the story as well. ec

8/02/2006 04:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home