My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, July 31, 2006

KS - shifts

June 1963 - Back in Augusta, we settled into our small apartment at 817 Johns Road, just off Walton Way, across the street from the side of Reed Memorial Church. Our front door opened to reveal a fair sized living room with two passage doors directly across, one into the kitchen and then on through to the bedroom, the other went into the bath and on through to the same bedroom. It was not tiny, but not far up the scale from that.

At the time Mrs. C worked shifts, days one week and evenings the next. My occupation was to look for work, I didn’t work shifts - I was basically shiftless. This went on for almost two months, in fact Mrs. C was beginning to wonder about what she had married into, when I finally got hired by Proctor and Gamble in their detergent plant in Augusta. Jobs were hard to get back then, especially good ones.

About a week later another of my many applications came through and they called me to work at Columbia Nitrogen. It was just as well they did because the odors and aromas of the P & G job were about to do me in – this because of all the perfumes they use in their soap products – some kind of allergy.

Not only that – I came home several times and took a shower without using any soap except what I had absorbed into my skin. It took me quite a while before I could comfortably walk down the detergent aisle of any supermarket because of the product scent. I worked with them two weeks and two days.

Columbia Nitrogen was just starting up when I joined their work force in late summer of 1963. Not long after being hired they sent us to Tennessee for several days of “on the job” training at a similar fertilizer plant there – for hands on training to learn how to start up and run our new plant in Augusta. This was the first time Mrs. C and I had been separated since the wedding and it was somewhat traumatic for us both.

After the OJT we still had a lot of training back in Augusta before we finally started up the operation of the plant. After the start-up I also started working shifts, except I had three of them and that usually clashed with the two of Mrs. C and we almost had to run a schedule to have time to be together.

We were still in our newlywed adjustment period, even at church. Since they didn’t have a class that related directly to the young married, we quit going to Sunday school – just attended the church part – much to the concern of both sets of parents. A short time later they began a young married class and again we were regular to all services. Basically if the doors were open, we were there.

TBC - ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Interesting. I have to almost run down the soap aisle but it's a relatively new sensitivity. I think somehow the powder gets into the air.

I use liquid detergent and get out of my own laundry room in a hurry.

7/31/2006 01:22:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I'm aware that 'youth groups' are an essential part of any religious program, and the classes for the 'newly married' are so important. I'm glad you had them.

I'll also say that shift work is some of the hardest work you'll ever do. The body has a difficult time adjusting to the fluctuations, and good sleep is darn near impossible.

7/31/2006 07:26:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - I might also be the perfumes in the product - I have trouble with most all perfumes for the fair gender and many of the ones for men. The wrong type will give me a headache in about 5 minutes.

bonita - Young married classes are so important as two become one in several ways - especially in the spiritual. Shift work was quite a challenge for us as young marrieds as well - and the biggest one was the sleep, I never felt like I had enough. ec

7/31/2006 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

There is so much to be learned from our life stories especially when we look for the providence of God in them. Thanks.

8/01/2006 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~ It is hard starting a new phase of life, without having to find work. Some products are over-
perfumed and quite a few folk are
allergic. Glad you enjoyed the joke
about Spaghetti. Cheers, Merle.

8/02/2006 03:29:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - So true, whether we recognize them in the present or much later in time.

merle - Early marriage is a great time of life, but also can be a very trying time of adjustment. ec

8/02/2006 03:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home