My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, July 17, 2006

KS - complications

Late Spring 1963 – The next several weeks of old letters spoke of many sweet nothings, of how lonely I was and of how much I was ready for the waiting to be over. Also of staying very busy with church activities and hunting for a trailer for us to buy. Then of being discouraged in the hunt and deciding to just rent an apartment until Miss C would be there to help me look.

Another recurring theme was that of the temporary job situation and how hard it was to make any permanent plans. The letters also speak of a close walk with God, and that the job situation along with other things really kept me on my knees. This was made all the worse by the wedding date being down to less than a month.

At that time my oldest sister was living in Toledo and I went up to visit her for the weekend – according to a letter of May 5, 1963. This was the same sister whose husband was the Army recruiter that signed me up for the military three years before. Had a good visit there with their crowd - she had four young ones at the time with another due near our wedding date. My arrival back in Lexington was about 9pm on Sunday night. This was approximately a 6-hour drive as opposed to about 11 hours to Augusta.

A May 14th letter spoke of a trip to Augusta and getting back 12:30 Sunday night - actually Monday morning and that was to be the last trip back home until the wedding. My usual routine when going home was to leave right after work on Friday, drive all night and get to Augusta in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Then start back about 1 or 2pm Sunday afternoon – love can cause its involved ones to do some drastic and exhausting things – especially things that do not seem to make a lot of sense when looked back on later.

My temporary job status in Lexington couldn’t be resolved before I would leave to get married, according to a letter of May 25th, so I had to make a very uncomfortable decision. Miss C had an excellent job with the government at the Savannah River Plant and had worked one week of a two weeks notice. We decided for her to keep her job in Augusta and we would just start our married life back there where both of our families were close by. I would have to officially terminate my job in Lexington after we came back from our honeymoon.

TBC - ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Young people always face these complications when they are transitioning into marriage, all of which develop good critical thinking skills, and fosters opportunity for consultation. Great beginnings here, I can see it already.

7/17/2006 01:56:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - There were several complications that seemed very big back then. Looking back, many were just minute and a few can only be considered the guiding of the hand of the Lord. ec

7/17/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ It was hard back in those days, finding jobs and some-
where to live. And I guess it still is. Today though the young ones want everything at once, where we got them
gradually. Thanks for your comments.
What a good idea to make each child think he/she are loved te best.
Take care, Merle.

7/18/2006 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Very true, so many go into marriage with very unrealistic expectations, then when real life doesn't match up, they think they must not be in love anymore - sad. ec

7/18/2006 11:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home