My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

KS - the Potters

January 1963 – Several letters mentioned going over to the Potters and spending time with them. Mrs. Potter was my confidant and I usually discussed my concerns and situations with her. She was about like an older sister and I valued her advice. She knew all about Miss C and my feelings for her.

I remember eating with them a good bit and spending time with their family. We would play cards – Army style pinochle – at almost every gathering. Potter and his daughter would usually partner against his wife and I – we had a lot of fun with its associated good-natured banter. They seemed to enjoy having me over and I know I enjoyed their hospitality and friendship.

Potter would putter in their basement, putting together electronic parts, usually for a radio or some other related gear. Still remember the curls of smoke from his soldering iron and cigarette blending together as he was enjoying his hobby down in his little corner of the world.

The letter of 1-25-63 told of record breaking cold and snow. It went down to 21 below zero, breaking a record set in 1884. It also stated that most everybody stayed home because their cars wouldn’t start, but my VW kept right on going. Potter calls it a tin can, but it hasn’t failed to start and his has failed several times.

Every letter I wrote to Miss C contained copious and multitudinous amounts of affection for her, yet I was unable to decide on a permanent continuation with her. This would somewhat account for my friendship with Miss G and later with Miss J, both in Lexington. This latter nearly caused a permanent cessation of the relationship between Miss C and myself. Indecision is a terrible and sometimes cruel thing.

I seemed to be growing spiritually, but I still had a lot to learn in many areas, especially those of the heart. A letter of 3-4-63 told that the witnessing group “Pioneers for Christ” came down to our church for the weekend. We learned to witness and went out door-to-door, witnessing about Christ and inviting folks to church. We formed a club for that in our church, of which I was selected VP.

TBC – ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Going through the old letters must sometimes bring back such wonderful times, and also some pretty crummy ones.

Thankfully the Lord has preserved you this far, and I pray He will continue His work in you.

:-)

7/05/2006 03:47:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - He has brought me far - with still a long way to go. ec

7/06/2006 12:15:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ It is nice to have good friends - for advice
and conversation and cards.
You were fortunate indeed to have the Potters. Do you still see them sometimes?
Take care, Merle.

7/06/2006 04:21:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I like your image of Mr. Potter in the basement. Back then, most hobbies were down there. Now, we have family rooms, dens, and offices built into homes so Dad doesn't have to be chilled or alone.

7/06/2006 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - We lost contact over the years, that was 43 years ago, I'm sure they have past since he was retired military even back then.

bonita - So true, but somehow Potter seemed to like his little getaway little workshop and don't think he would have had it any other way. ec

7/06/2006 10:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home