My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

BT - weather

This continues the beach trip.

Beach trip – 4 – All night Tuesday and most of the morning Wednesday, the remains of the storm named Alberto came through the area with rain and much high wind. The strong wind was whistling at the door all night and it was even causing the outside handrails to vibrate. Wednesday morning came and the waves were very wild, it was as if a million freshman whitecaps in the school of waves decided to all come and foam the beach at one time.

Only a few hardy folks came out on the beach until sometime in the afternoon on Wednesday. These daring ones were mostly surfers, braving the pounding waves, even though the red flags were flying at the lifeguard stations. Several of the surfers were being hauled back up the beach in the back of the lifeguard’s four-wheeler – don’t know if they were in trouble or not. The sun finally came out and it got a bit warmer by about 3pm.

The spice and I finally ventured forth to a theater in the Coastal Grand Mall for the purpose of viewing a movie. The movie was an animated one titled ‘Over the hedge’ and while not quite up there with ‘Ice Age’ and ‘Shrek’, it was enjoyable none the less. Let me state for the record that if Hollywood depended on my support for their livelihood, they would near starve to death. This is because I average going to the theater about once a year – this particular movie was my first cinema visit of the year.

Thursday morning came and any evidence of the storm had long since past and the population of the beach came back up to about half a zillion folks, getting salty and baked all at the same time. It was a lot like a large cookout, except only the people were being basted and roasted. The Spice and I took a stroll on the beach and the faint odor of something cooking wafted into my nostrils. It was somewhat like when bacon is frying except it smelled more like suntan lotion or sunscreen.

After a little less than an hour of bipedal sand and wave meandering, we retreated back to the condo for our lunch and some time on our shaded balcony for continued beach observation. We both arrived at the conclusion that we could get used to this sort of relaxation.

Our pastor has said many times, “If you don’t come apart, you will come apart.” His reference in the physical was that we needed to break the routine and get away somewhere – but his main point was in the spiritual. We need to get away to be with God, to renew our relationship and to hear from Him as to whether we need any course changes in our life. He will redirect but we must quieten the noises of life to be able to hear. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ It sounded a bit scary
during that storm, but glad no real damage was done. I do not get to many movies at a theatre. The last one was with my brother Peter. We went to see
"Walk the Line," the story of Johnny and June Cash. We both love country music, and I loved it. In fact I
bought the DVD the other day.
Take care, Merle.

6/29/2006 04:53:00 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I agree completely. If I don't have my quiet time alone with the Lord I definitely feel like I am going to come apart! I also love when my husband plans an overnight gettaway for the two of us. It ususally is on the pacific coast somewhere and I love it! Sounds like you and your wife had a wonderful time! :)

6/29/2006 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I think as we age this connection to our Creator becomes even stronger, and we are talking to Him throughout our day, in a constant dialogue. So many of our choices depend on that inner dialogue, fostered in our own particular ways. I'm so grateful that all of my children prioritize this spiritual habit. It results in good outcomes.

6/29/2006 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - The weather wasn't horrible, just a lot of wind - we just stayed inside, and that was good too. We did see that DVD of Johnny and June Cash - I like the way it ended when he finally turned his life around.

adannells - It was a great time of getting away from the routine with my favorite person.

bonita - So true - a constant dialogue is the thing that strengthens me and helps me with my priorieties. Seems to be what the scripture means that says "Pray without ceasing". ec

6/29/2006 09:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home