My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, June 09, 2006

con-cuss-shin

As most of us humans know the shin is defined as the front part of the leg from the knee to the ankle and/or the shinbone or tibia, especially its sharp edge or front portion. All who have brought this portion of their leg forcefully against a stationary or semi-stationary object will agree that this action will bring about pain. The magnitude of pain is in direct proportion to the amount of force, the degree the object is stationary and the solidness of this object.

This painful scenario, described above with only a small degree of emotion, happened to me just recently down in the basement. I was taking something down to the workshop and failed to turn on the one light that would have revealed a protruding corner of a wooden box. This trek had been made many times and there was never any shin danger in that part of the basement.

I was in a hurry so the contact was forceful. Much pain was involved. It did leak red. I was not happy, but did not cuss, since I gave the X-rated language up years ago. The box made quite an impression on me, but no impression was made on the box.

There was no way that I could blame this pain on someone else since I was the one that placed the box there. The box was put there to help GM3 and GM4 (small grandsons) reach the flipper controls on the pinball machine that occupies that corner. Even though it caused them much fun, that didn’t lessen the pain to any great degree. I do not regret causing them fun, just not moving the box when it was over.

Knowledge should cause action or at least face one with the decision of whether or not to act. This painful knowledge caused me to move the box out of the way and prevent future collisions – ‘A man has to know his limitations’ – in the physical or the spiritual. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ouch. I confess that I would have swore.

6/09/2006 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, my, you have a great deal of peace and calmness in the midst of pain!!
Or in other words I am glad you did not lose your vocabulary and revert to the past!!
So, hope your pain has subsided and you will be just fine.

Betty G

6/10/2006 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger me said...

OUCH!! But Im glad you didn't revert to colorful phrases!
For some bizarre reason, when I am REALLY in pain I tend to laugh. I don't know why because I can literally be writhing in agony, but laughing. It makes it hard for others to take me seriously. Even when I broke my ankle a few years back, laughter with the tears. I'm weird. :)
But a paper cut will have me whining like a two year old!

6/10/2006 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

"never any shin danger"

heheh

I hear ya!!! Hope you're feeling better now!

6/10/2006 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Your honesty is refreshing.

boopchile - The post was written somewhat after the passing of the pain. I knew that it was all over but the healing anyway.

lis - Though it sounds unusual, I have heard of others that laugh when hurt. The outward expression of pain varies from person to person.

jayleigh - The healing process has started but the funny looking bruise colors will be with me for a while.

6/10/2006 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Sorry to hear of your
mishap and guess it has healed by now,
or at least the pain has gone.
Thanks for your comments. I agree that
home grown produce tastes so much better than store bought. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Cheers, Merle.

6/11/2006 04:54:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - The pain is mostly gone - thanks. The garden in on the verge of really putting on it's main production of veggies. Hopefully we won't lose too many by being out of town for the week. ec

6/11/2006 10:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home