My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

KS - homeward bound

I’m not sure of the date we got back to the U.S. as one set of orders has 5 July 1962 and my discharge has 9 July 1962, but whichever – I was out of the army! I had already told the buddy I came back with that I would drop him off at his home in Ohio, so the two of us wandered around till we found the car shipment place, picked up my little VW, tossed in the duffel bags and headed out for his home state.

We drove straight through to his home and somewhere down the road all the events of the past several days and the lack, dearth, scarcity and shortage of sleep on the boat started catching up with me. After it got dark, I really started getting drowsy and my friend had keep talking to me to keep me awake. By the time we got to his place I was one exhausted ex-soldier.

He wanted to visit all his friends and run around town, which we did some and then I collapsed on one of their beds. I went to sleep lying across my sleeping place still in my clothes and don’t think I moved all night – someone pulled some cover over me after I zonked out.

After reassuming consciousness the next day, I was off to Georgia and my hometown of Augusta! Drove that one straight through as well, I believe I stopped once for a nap beside the road – that wasn’t quite as dangerous to do back then.

It was still in early morning darkness when I passed through a town about 20 miles from home and out of nowhere a large dog, possibly a great Dane, came across the road in front of me. It was a small car – big dog collision – actually more of a small car – nudging big dog out of the way situation. Don’t think the dog was hurt but it sure did put my nerves on high alert.

It was about four in the morning when I started getting really close – and darkness was still ruling when I came through North Augusta. This town is in South Carolina but just across the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia – the center of the river being the state line.

Due to upgrades and changes in the highways, I suddenly realized I was headed back north. This was corrected posthaste and I crossed the Savannah River into Georgia, arrived home about 4:30am and woke everybody up. They were glad to see me, but I don’t remember anyone doing cartwheels – this due to the early hour no doubt.

TBC - ec

6 Comments:

Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

ec,

Been following all your stories of your service days!

...I can tell you were one happy young man to get back home! :)


June

5/31/2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Glad you and Great Dane okay.

Friday our last day of school here. This week is basically for goofing off though. Younger girls will have field trips to park where they now go by themselves.

I fell back asleep late this morning. I don't think I'm coming down with anything, just tired and it's hot again here. Someone told me 95.

Ann

5/31/2006 06:19:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

And so, your story will now develop new plots, new twists and turns, and no more cartwheels?

5/31/2006 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Cartwheels at 4.30 AM would be very difficult I would imagine.

6/01/2006 02:03:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ That long drive sounds more hazardous than your soldier duties. Glad you made it safely. We were crazy when we were young, we
thought we could do anything.
Thanks for your visit. Cheers, Merle.

6/01/2006 04:16:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - It was a happy day - I wanted to do everything and see everybody all at once.

granny - The last several days here have been in the nineties. Today is supposed to be a bit cooler and hopefully to get some rain tonight or tomorrow. The veggies need it.

bonita - The real soap opera parts are coming up - but all true and definitely with a different twist.

peter - Especially in a small house. I knew they were glad to see me though.

merle - Looking back, the drive was a bit crazy - but the young, then and now, seem to think they are all "Superman and bulletproof". ec

6/01/2006 11:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home