My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

BBH report 388

Blueberry Hill report 388.

It was a bad day for the tomato row in the garden. Of the 15 plants, 3 had picked up some sort of viral or fungal type disease. Since I am the caretaker of the garden it became my sad duty to remove these infected plants before the ailment spread to the others. I’m not sure if there is a difference to the plant as to whether it is gently pulled from the soil or just ripped out, but since they were not weeds, they were gently pulled from the soil. Sadder still was that I had not named them as yet.

The three were tenderly carried to the refuse/burn pile to be reduced in bulk by rapid oxidation. As you may or may not know, if you handle healthy plants after touching diseased ones it can pass the infection on to them. This necessitated going inside and washing up – I wouldn’t want other plants to get some sort of ick from the very one that is supposed to be caring for them.

The remaining tomato plants will produce gracious plenty of the red fruit to supply our family and several others of our kin and acquaintance. What is needed now is straw for mulch and then to place the support baskets. The straw mulch holds down the weed growth and helps retain moisture in the soil.

This was also a sad day in my newest blueberry patch when one of the small struggling plants ceased to be a living entity. It was gently tugged from its earthy residence and carried to its final resting place. A plant dug from my main patch replaced the dearly departed. Even though this is not the normal season for transplanting, if I am diligent on keeping the new plant watered it may survive.

After a good rain the day before, the garden veggies are glowing in their vigorousness and seemed to be anxious to produce their produce. This was the day for the final thinning of the okra plants. The okra seeds are saved from year to year in the freezer and so there are always plenty. Because of this, when I plant this veggie, many seeds are placed in each ‘hill’ to make sure at least one will germinate and grow. This necessitates thinning the plants after they sprout. It is a bit like playing god when I have to decide which plant to pull up and which to leave.

I’m more content with letting God be God because, unlike me, He is good and always loves. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I love the fact that you anme your plants and are kind and gentle with them.

5/24/2006 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I do too although I dn't think anything would help me.

Ann
She of the purple thumb

5/24/2006 03:35:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - I do try to be gentle but occasionally I write a bit tongue-in-cheek and one never knows when unless they can see my sly smile. :)

granny - I've heard of a green thumb and a brown thumb, but a purple one? Of course I have had one of those but it usually involved accidental misplacement of that digit when my hammer was swung, and the resultant pain and contusion from hammer-thumb collision. :) ec

5/24/2006 04:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The only plants that I have ever intentionally tended have been roses. Everything else seems to die on me.

Pruning and disposing of plants is, I am assured, playing god—or God. I’m reminded that Matthew’s gospel has Jesus say to the Pharisees: “Even now the ax is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”

I think those are appropriate words to Pharisees, not the actual ones, but people who act pharisaic—who act with hypocrisy, self-righteousness, and obsessiveness with regard to the strict adherence to rules and formalities—then and today.

5/24/2006 07:59:00 PM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

Amen.

5/24/2006 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Oh. You are one of those detested 'thinners. Best to mend yer ways......

5/24/2006 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - The plants around here have to be tough and able to thrive on neglect, they get more of that than TLC. I do try to water and keep the weeds down around them.

thebeloved - Thanks much.

bonita - I should probably just replant and 'thin' no more. Thanks for the chuckle. :) ec

5/24/2006 09:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home