My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, May 15, 2006

KS - VW bug

12- One of the letters written home spoke of my request for Dad to borrow enough money for me to buy a VW automobile while there and repay him when I got back. Even with the added expense of paying to ship it home when I came back to the States, it would still be cheaper than buying it in Georgia. One of the postcards I sent Mom from Spain had a PS that told of receiving the requested check just before I left SHAPE to go on leave.

In my file there is a “Request to Purchase and Register a Vehicle” form dated 2 May 1962 – it was approved. It lists the vehicle to be bought as a VW, 1962 and the color blue. On the bottom it lists – “Driving Record” - excellent - they didn’t mention hitting the back of the Renault. Then “Off Duty Habits and Conduct” – excellent - it’s a good thing they didn’t count morals or spiritual values. Under “Disciplinary Record” – excellent - that was true to a point, but it was fear that kept that area mostly straight. Then it had my date of leaving France: July 1962.

Next paper was a “Certificat De Vente” from Diffusion Automobile in downtown Paris saying I had purchased the car – dated 11 May 1962. In a letter dated 15 May, I told my Mom that I had picked up the car and had got some insurance on it – just enough to last me while over there. Still have a receipt for the insurance payment as well. If my memory serves, the total price of the vehicle was $1,420.00.

The letter also mentioned that I had been seeing a British girl – this was the only other decent girl I had contact with while in Europe. It was quite a switch – someone that could speak English and of decent character too – what a concept! We did a lot of sightseeing together in those last couple of months. She was employed as an au pair for a wealthy French family.

The letter also mentioned that I was planning to go see a friend I grew up with – he was stationed at Ramstein Air Base in Germany – in the Air Force, naturally. I also still have a map, given to me by the VW people, and it shows all the places in Germany that had a VW dealer – most every town of any size.

Next paperwork was that for a three-day pass to Germany to go see my friend there. It was from 1700 hrs 31 May 1962 till 1700 hrs 3 June 1962, and the trip there and back was uneventful. While there was a different story – he worked as a bartender at the NCO club on his off time, and I proceeded to impress him and his squad mates with my inability to hold my liquor. It was not pretty – it seems that he had to do some cleaning up behind me. Old times were not the only things we talked about the next day. Was that what “really living” was all about?

TBC - ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I've been following all this with fascination and a sense of familiarity.

5/15/2006 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Memories of your first car and more adventures of your early years. You have done well to keep all these records and receipts etc.
Thanks for your comment, I enjoyed the
chocolate. Take care, Merle.

5/16/2006 03:40:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Thanks - it wasn't pretty at times but it is a part of my past.

merle - The term pack rat does fit me in certain areas, especially in areas of past personal history. ec

5/16/2006 05:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home