My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, May 14, 2006

blandness

Today was the day I have been dreading – the day of no more blueberries. The last few of these frozen delights saved from last year were used to enliven my cereal this morning, to give pep to a sometimes-slow part of my day. Now they are gone and a replacement will have to be found to spice up the morning blandness of my cereal. It’s not that I’m totally against blandness, but in the morning I do need more than that to really awaken this ancient physical frame and mind of mine.

Bland is not great in food but that can be flavored or spiced up and made acceptable to the palate. But when a person’s life in other areas, especially the spiritual, is considered bland there is more of a problem. A non-existent spiritual life is a horrible thing but in some ways the bland spiritual life is even worse. The ancient Book of Truth says that folks living like this are those “Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof; from such turn away.”

Some know just enough about the Bible and God to make them miserable and they know nothing of the real love, forgiveness and vibrant joy that God meant for us to have. The Scripture speaks of the bland spiritual ones like this – “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.”

The genuine church and believer should have the power of God in evidence in their services and lives. This power should change lives for the better, bring peace, show love and make the world a better place to live. Why have so many people given up on church? Because many churches have just become social organizations and have no real lasting effect for the better in the cities and towns in which they are located.

“For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.” ec

3 Comments:

Blogger me said...

AWWWWWWWWW EC, Sorry about the lack of blueberries!!!
My daughter feels the same way about raspberries we keep in the freezer for smoothies and such! Once upon a time she she told me she was praying a "loaves and fishes" type prayer so the dozen frozen containers filled with her favorite fruit would increase a dozenfold and last til the next picking season!

5/15/2006 01:06:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I'm confident you will find something tasty to put on the cereal; and I hope you have many good seasons of blueberries ahead. I've been buying them frozen, then I put them into a blender with peach yogurt; I get a blueberry smoothie that way, and it is very good.

5/15/2006 06:20:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

lis - Your daughter's "loaves and fishes" prayer was great - just the type thing that God loves to do for His children. :) My blueberries start to get ripe just after the 1st part of June, I'll just have to make do until then.

bonita - That blueberry smoothie sounds pretty good, I'll have to try that - when the berries get ripe. Until then I guess it will be bananas. ec

5/15/2006 07:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home