My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

KS - Belgium

On or about 15 June, 1962, I traveled back down through Belgium to visit the site of the “Exposition Universelle et Internationale de Bruxelles – Avril – Octobre 1958” or so says the small map of the area that I still have – basically it was the site of the World’s Fair of 1958. Working my way back southward, I continued making snapshots of any interesting building I saw. There were still a lot of damaged buildings not completely repaired from the bombings of WWII.

All the way through Belgium and Luxemburg was a time that I felt more alone than I ever had before – and maybe since. Went back through Germany and touched base with the family there that had been kind to me and then back to my base of residence near SHAPE. The trip wasn’t what I had planned, but it worked into a very interesting excursion – would have been better with a companion – Jesus would have been a great one, but I didn’t seem to think so at the time.

An event left out of the time line was a cross-country race I participated in – must have been the fall of 1961. A friend of mine talked me into entering an event in which I had never been involved – in fact, I had never run a race of any kind. In high school I was too occupied with my paper route and its early hours to be involved in any kind of sports.

The big race day finally came and I picked out one of the British guys about my size and determined to tag along with him. Unknown to me was the fact that this particular guy had played soccer most of his life and could run half the day without a rest. The start signal sounded and I proceeded to stay with him – for about a quarter mile (the race was over six miles, up and down hills), then my legs insisted – no – demanded that I walk a while. My own crew came by trying to encourage me to keep going, which I did – at a much slower pace.

Out of 70 plus entrants, I finally finished about 48th and was a much wiser, yet much more tired individual. Later I was to become a jogger for many years and learned how to pace myself – a lesson that started with that race! I was also running life’s race at the time, but I was running in circles – spiraling downward.

TBC - ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I've been to Belgium, too. Never ran a race though...yours indicates the benefit of 'new interests' that spark other journeys later on. Mr. Rodgers has lots to say on this theme.

5/23/2006 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Janie said...

Yes, I look back over my life and wonder about it. There were times when God took care of me and I never even had a clue until years later. Life could have been sooo much better!! Blessings, Janie Marie

5/23/2006 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Me Eddie ~~ Sounds as though you did OK in the race with no previous training. The race of life is more
important.
Many thanks for the birthday greetings
It will be Peter's turn on Sunday. He turns 70 on 28th May.
Thank you again. Take care, Merle.

5/24/2006 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Much wisdom is given by Mr. Rodgers.

CGS - Those army years have given me many examples of things not to do again.

merle - In a few posts I will be getting to the point where my errant race gets corrected. ec

5/24/2006 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Joggers have my utmost admiration!!
I don't think we have a single jogger in the family!
And that is a shame nowadys.

See you, Betty G

5/25/2006 12:08:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

boopchile - It is a shame, because if we are not using, maintaining and building our body, we will eventually lose these body movements. ec

5/25/2006 09:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home