My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

entre nous

Just between you and me, I like canned tuna - the small flat cans that are bought in bulk at Sam's. This product is usually mixed with a condiment or two and consumed in sandwich form. It has also been mixed into various soups and eaten in that manner.

The love of my life (in human form) does not share in the delight that I take in this fishy culinary article. In fact, it's just the opposite, she detests the odor given off by this ex-swimmer when I open the can. This dislike necessitates self-preparation of this particular meal. She has long past the screaming and running out the door stage - lacking the energy - she simply lights one of those scented candles until the ordeal is over.

My wife follows that old quote, "It is better to light one candle than curse the darkness" - or the tuna. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Your wife is a treasure for lighting that candle.

5/17/2006 09:30:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Tuna bails me out on the many occasions when I can't decide what's for dinner.

The infamous tuna noodle casserole of course only we call it glop.

Baby pics on granny if you're interested.

5/17/2006 09:39:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Thanks for the comment. I heard someone say once that all newborns look like Winston Churchill.

This one's an improvement on that at least (except for being a little purple).

5/17/2006 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

Hahahah! What a great little tidbit! I like tuna too, but that smell certainly does like to linger long after it's eaten up! Sardines though, those I don't like. And they smell worse!

Have a great day!

5/18/2006 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ I am with your wife
totally on this one. No tuna for me.
I really liked your comment ~ "An
attitude of gratitude will give more
latitude and strengthen your fortitude". Good one. ake care,Merle.

5/18/2006 04:03:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Smells fishy to me. Actually though, canned tuna is one of the few fishy things that I'll eat. That and battered halibut (and such) as it fish and chips.

5/18/2006 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

There are certain cooking smells that are definitely off putting, with me it's probably boiled cabbage... love it as coleslaw but that's it.

5/18/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Speaking of tuna sandwiches, I made a few yesturday morning for a little outing to the ocean my husband and I took. I really like tuna but only if it is gooped up nice and good with mayonaise, mustard, and relish. The smell when I open the can though isn't the most pleasant one. I can agree with your wife on that! :)

5/18/2006 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - The candle is her good friend in such times. :)

granny - The tuna is usually my back-up plan for not starving. And I think I had heard about all newborns looking like Churchill - they do a little as a matter of fact.

yours truly - Not crazy about the smell either, but it makes a good sandwich in an emergency.

merle - Thanks - I don't eat tuna on a regular basis, just when the notion strikes.

AC - It seems that I had fish and chips one time in Europe, but can't remember exactly where - I do like them.

peter - I will eat cabbage but it certainly stinks up the house when cooking.

adannells - I usually put several condiments into the mix as well - to spice up the taste a bit. ec

5/18/2006 11:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home