My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

KS - army pay

A military pay voucher tells the amount of cash I received on 5 June 1962. My base pay was $150.00 for that month and a few extras brought it to $192.35, minus taxes and allotments my final draw was $124.00 – again, that was for the whole month, but it was probably my highest payday in the Army! This was not a profession in which to get rich, even though that amount would buy much more back then than today.

Talking about pay reminds me of what cured me of gambling, that and the two old containers of poker chips on my study shelf – now used in made-up games with kids. It seems that a group of us used to play poker with these chips and someone of the group would run a tab for the month and would collect on payday. This went OK for a couple of months, until I came up owing $52.00 one month – back when I was making about $80.00 for that period of time – and I was cured! Never tried it again in any form or fashion.

Normally I was fairly frugal and was able to make my funds last for the whole month, even though at times I was only left with enough cash for the on-base movie – admission was one French franc – about 20 cents. Sometimes we had to supply one or two of our “pauper” buddies with the entrance fee at the end of the month.

This little movie-house was frequented quite often, especially before I achieved personal transportation. Many movies were seen there, but the only one I really remember was “One-Eyed Jacks” starring Marlon Brando – back in 1961. The bad guy was Karl Malden and Brando’s love interest was Pina Pellicer. Will never forget the opening scene in which Brando was sitting on a counter in a bank that he was helping rob, stuffing his face with a banana – always thought that scene was cool but weird, and so very Brando.

When we had a couple of months left in service everybody called it getting “short”. I was now getting very “short” and most ready to see the good ole USA, most certainly the Southern part of it, and the home folks. What would I do then? One thing I knew that I didn’t want to do was to re-enlist in the Army!

TBC - ec

6 Comments:

Blogger squire said...

My favorite saying while in the Army was,"when you get out you will only remember the good times". At the time I thought to myself there was not any "goodtimes". Now I can only remember the goodtimes as they had said would be the case.

5/16/2006 07:51:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Kinda like childbirth - you forget the pain after awhile, and just feel glad you survived.

5/16/2006 08:26:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ I hope like squire that
you mainly remember the good times.
Thanks for comment ~ you are not alone
with the help of a smile. I think it
improves all our looks, also how we feel. Take care, Merle.

5/16/2006 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

squire - I do remember a few good times but mostly regret the many stupid things I did. Thanks for the visit.

bonita - Indeed, but it was barely surviving in most ways - I value the exprerience but wouldn't want to go back through it.

merle - Looking back, I did learn a lot, but mostly what not to do again. Some of these lessons had to be learned several times. ec

5/16/2006 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I know about learning the hard way (over and over sometimes).

I'll put up a post when the big event happens (haven't heard a thing so far and it's 7:30 here).

5/16/2006 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - I don't remember any big lessons I learned the easy way - hardheaded I guess. ec

5/17/2006 08:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home