My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, May 19, 2006

BBH report 381

The BBH in the title stands for Blueberry Hill, which is what I have taken to calling my place here.

The day had arrived for the cleaning out and cutting back of the shrubbery. They indeed were looking very scraggly and unkempt, plus the Spice of my life had mentioned in no uncertain terms that I needed to do something before the house became overgrown. Last year I had just hit them with “a lick and a promise” but now major work was necessary.

To make this situation worse, the front row has very prickly leaves – some type of holly I think. The green leaves of these are bad enough but the dried ones are like needles, going right through my gloves if they are grasped wrong. Wild blackberries had invaded also and had to be dealt with on top of all this. The handling of the residue brought to mind the scripture about having a thorn in the flesh – in a literal sense – in my case it was a multitude of punctures.

It has been stated that nature abhors a vacuum, and although none was apparent, several things besides shrubs were in residence in the bed. There was no way of telling how the seeds got there, but I had to dig up a mimosa, an oak, a sweet gum and one I was unable to identify that reminded me of a crabapple. Thankfully all these were still fairly small or it really would have been a major earth-moving project.

Around the corner was a small wild cherry (or Carolina cherry) that had to be dug out as well. This tree is good for nothing except producing berries for birds and for making a mess on driveways and sidewalks. Also dug up was a muscadine vine and various other briars and brambles. It took three loads in my large garden cart, full to the brim, to carry away the cuttings, trimmings and up diggings.

It makes me wonder if I need some spiritual trimming and pruning – I need to ask Someone about that. ec

12 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Lots of digging for you again.

It's at least ten degrees cooler here today with quite a breeze and wind alerts from the weather service.

Rain expected.

5/20/2006 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

LOL Blueberry Hill.. that song came to mind when I read that. LOL I know MANY songs. Glad you got the seedlings. My husband picked up 5 carts (one you pull behind small lawn tactor) of pine cones a couple of weeks ago! Wish you a great weekend. Many Blessings, Janie Marie

5/20/2006 01:23:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Busy, busy, busy.Today I raked up 5 barrow loads of lovely ?
autumn leaves. hope you survive your
work in the garden. I love blackberry
jam. A bit worried about you with the Favorites Song AND being a former blonde!! Take care, Merle.

5/20/2006 03:53:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It has been stated that nature abhors a vacuum...

Which is why I am thinking of changing my cat's name to Nature.

5/20/2006 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Weird weather expected today - it sprinkled rain for about an hour, not enough to keep me from working in the yard. Now the sun is shining and heading toward 90F - then with thunder boomers headed here this afternoon. Don't need the lightning, but could use the rain.

CGS - That is a lot of pine cones. Our lot is not but about an acre, but can grow up in a hurry if one is not on top of things.

merle - The leaves are much prettier when still on the trees. Would it be better to say I am a reformed blonde? :)

AC - Very good one - much chuckles and humor appreciation on this end. :) :) ec

5/20/2006 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have an intense dislike for volunteer trees, especially those that decide to grow next to things like fences. I have three in my backyard at the moment. However, for me, it’s not yet the time for cleaning out and cutting back of the shrubbery.

5/20/2006 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It seems that they always grow where it's very difficult to extract them. One wild cherry tree is growing right in the middle of one of our blueberry bushes - all I can do is keep it trimmed back. Reminds me of bad habits and how hard they are to get rid of. ec

5/20/2006 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I always liked Blueberry Hill when I was a kid. :-)

5/20/2006 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Re comment on granny:

I don't know why they insist on doing that. They laugh a lot but something about the camera gets to them. They both look like they should have a number across their chest.

The shorter, older one is the daddy of the new baby. (All doing fine).

5/21/2006 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - It just made sense, I have a lot of blueberries and I live on a small hill - 2 plus 2 equals 4 - most of the time.

granny - Are you sure you didn't feed them pickle sandwiches? :) ec

5/21/2006 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Lawn care on Groundhog Mountain: 1.Weed whack the front yard once in July.
2.Sit back and watch the rhodies grow.
3.Take a nap

5/21/2006 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

TMG - Wow, now that would be the life - and with all the view too. ec

5/21/2006 10:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home