My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

rain dance

The two words in the title of this post have nothing in common with each other, besides the fact that I thought they would make a catchy title. The rain portion of the title is descriptive of something we haven’t had very much of this year – until last Friday. I had been desperately striving to keep the garden alive with my trusty sprinkler – as well as watering many bushes with the hose.

Many short-lived insects have likely lived and died without ever having seen rain but that has all changed now. The rain was so hard for about 30 minutes that it was difficult to determine whether it was a gully washer or a frog strangler type downpour. It was at least a gully washer because I saw the gullies being washed, but I wasn’t close enough to the pond to check on the frogs.

Even though my garden is terraced, it washed a bit because the berms on either end were not high enough to catch the water. About a third of the okra plants were blown to an angle and that was quickly repaired on hands and knees. But the rain has done wonders for all the plants – even the half-dead gardenia. The okra seems to have grown about half a foot in this last week and they are now nigh unto blooming.

The squash and cucumbers are blooming and some of the tomato fruit are about 2 inches already. The blueberries are still a couple of weeks from being ripe but a few blackberries are already ripe. And the subject of blackberries brings about the second half of the title – dance.

Just the other day we were tending to the three local grandsons – GM3, GM4 and GM6 – and we were wandering around outside, checking on the wonders of nature. We had already checked out the clouds and voiced opinions as to what animals they resembled. Next it was leaves and why they were as they were. Then it was on to the blackberry bushes and a few of the ripe ones were picked and parceled out to the older two of the boys and were enjoyed to the nth degree.

When it came time to go back inside, I picked and gave a couple more to each of them. My attention was diverted by trying to get the younger back up the hill and didn’t notice the antics of the older. When I turned back to him, his feet were running in place, he was shaking his hands and making a very weird face.

It startled me momentarily until I heard his 4-year-old voice say ‘soouuurrr’ and I realized this was his ‘sour dance’. He didn’t spit the not-quite-ripe berry out so he must have still enjoyed it – but not as much as I enjoyed the ‘sour dance’. Children and especially grandchildren are a blessing from God. ec

11 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I've got squash blossoms - that bright yellow is sure a pick-me-up!

6/07/2006 09:54:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are a true man of the earth.

6/08/2006 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We do love grandchildren,don't we!!
But did I hear you say "gardenia."
I remember gardenia bushes in Memphis. My grandmother, Mama, grew gardenias and potted them to sell.
Poppa was a plant grower, sweet potatoes plants. cucmber, tomato, bell peppers, etc., plants.
But Mama had the flowers. Southern flowers are the beauty of this Earth. Especially wisteria and gardenias and camillias. However it is spelled.
I loved gardenias so that I had gardenias as a corsage when I got married in the parsonage, 61 years ago.
Flowers just aren't the same in the north.

See you, Betty G

6/08/2006 12:55:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Glad you got some rain
for your garden. I envy those
blackberries, and they do sell them here in Oz, the thornless ones.
Spring is a nice season with things
growing and blooming. Cheers, Merle.

6/08/2006 08:34:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - And the squash will follow close behind. One of my favorites is to pick fresh squash, cut them up along with onions (Vidalia, of course) and saute them in some olive oil and chow down - yum!

AC - I do smell "earthy" for sure when I come inside from working the garden. :)

boopchile - These 'grands' live close and we get to see and enjoy them often. The gardenia was from FIL's funeral and is struggling to stay alive under my care.

merle - We only have two of the blackberries but many blueberries - and they are very close to being ripe as well. ec

6/08/2006 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

LOL Maybe I should not tell this but last week I got caught in the barn with a DOWN POUR! The wind was blowing and the burro was even watching through the door. I was in there at least 30 minutes! I did see where the barn was leaking in a couple of unknown places. LOL I was beginning to wonder if a tornado was on it's way. When I finally realized it wasn't going to quit raining; I took off my blouse and threw it over my head and shoulders and ran to the house! My 8 yr old Shepherd was waiting for me at the back door. LOL I didn't get too wet! Many blessings, Janie Marie

6/08/2006 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

CGS - When it's raining like that a person has to do what they have to do - glad you didn't drown. :) ec

6/08/2006 09:50:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I love the rain! I think it so wonderful how plants that are droopy are perked up almost instantly with a good long drink of water. My parents have lots of blackberry bushes on their property and I know what your grandson went through when he ate a sour one. It seemed that out of every few sweet ones you would bite into a sour one. But it is all part of the fun of picking blackberries. To all of us who are grandchildren grandparents are also a blessing from the Lord! :)

6/08/2006 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

adannells - That rain was great, but now I need another one - I had to turn the sprinkler on today. I even have a few small squash on the vines. ec

6/08/2006 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

LOL at frog strangler and sour dance...

This post made me smile!

6/08/2006 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - Thanks, and your comment made me smile. :) ec

6/09/2006 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home