My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

toes

Younger daughter (YD), SIL and their gruntmonkeys had been gone for over a week to visit SIL’s parents in Big Rapids, Michigan. Evidently Big Rapids is smaller than its cousin city Grand Rapids – hence the name? They had a real hoot with various activities, with GM1, GM3 and GM4 riding on one of the vehicles in the July 4th parade. SIL’s Dad just happens to be the mayor of the town.

It seems that GM6 slept through the whole event, even with all the noise involved and woke up just as the parade ended. Of course they all got to watch the fireworks that night and were appropriately amazed thereby. One of the hobbies of SIL is ‘metal detecting’ – searching for coins or whatever with their instruments and GM1 got to join in with this adventure during the course of the week.

This beloved crowd returned home Monday evening, but the Spice and I were otherwise involved and didn’t get to see them. Tuesday I stopped by there after my dental appointment and got to see all the GMs. There were hugs and kisses all around and I even got to put GM6 down for his nap. He didn’t seem to care for this event and let everyone know by his outcries of disapproval, but it was all for show and he conked out shortly after.

As I am wont to do, I was discussing important issues with GM4 (2½ yrs. old). I’m not sure whether I was getting down to his mental level or he was coming up to mine – it was not a long trip either way. I touched the toes on his bare feet and told him that those were some very nice toes and asked where he got them. He simply said that he got them for his birthday. It took me quite a space of time to regain my composure after that and since laughter is good medicine, I got a full dose.

The 4 yr. old (GM4) was involved in a Disney movie, but I decided that I would ask him the same question. I commented on the quality of his toes as well and also asked him where he had got them. Without turning from the movie he said, “I don’t know, I’ve had them a long time”. Of course I lost it again and realized that these little guy’s parents – and grandparents – were going to have some interesting and entertaining years before these young sprouts got to be adults.

According to Scripture, children are a blessing from the Lord – to their parents, yes, but maybe more so to their grandparents and these young ones are certainly a blessing to Granna and Pop pop. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

I'm sure I'll enjoy grandchildren if and when they appear, but I can't get used to the idea that I might be a grandmother in a few years!

7/13/2006 04:37:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ What great answers those kids gave about their toes. As
you say there will be lots of interesting conversations for the next few years. What fun for the grandchildren to ride in the Parade.
Thanks for your comment, I plan to
post a recipe tomorrow for Dumplings
Take care, Merle.

7/13/2006 05:54:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

What a delightful post. So, he got his toes for his birthday! So cute! Enjoy, and blessings.

7/13/2006 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

How wonderful for you to have grandchildren -- close by too. Keep on enjoying.

7/13/2006 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

So sweet!

I have had a lovely and hectic week with VBS... the most fun part for me being the picking up and dropping off of children from my Aunt's daycare. Two went with me each day, but I got to snuggle my two baby cousins a lot too.

Is there anything nicer than walking in a door and the baby looks up at you with arms outstretched, wanting YOU to pick them up? I don't think so.

7/13/2006 06:25:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

sue - They are very enjoyable - even if there is a bit of aggravation involved on occasion.

merle - I was caring for them tonight to give YD and SIL a night out and the 2 1/2 year old still says that he got his toes for his birthday. :)

bonita - One never knows what they will say - or do - next but it is refreshing to see things through their eyes.

AC - We do enjoy them greatly, even if two of them will be moving 1000 miles away in about a week.

jayleigh - The only one of the crowd that comes to me, reaching up for me to hold him is the youngest of the crowd. He will consistently come to me from anyone, including his Mom at times. Does that touch me - yes it does. :) ec

7/14/2006 11:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home