My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, July 08, 2006

mo berry good

Our summer has been hot and dry and I think this has accelerated the blueberry ripening process somewhat. The bushes are of different varieties and normally ripen in time stages, but they seem to be all ripening at one time and if not picked promptly, will fall to the ground. Even though I have been picking at least a couple of gallons a day for the last several days, I’m still losing some.

The losses are partly because of bugs sticking their snout where I don’t want them to, part eaten by birds and the rest to over-ripeness. Even with all that there are still more than I can pick, unless I stay out all day every day, but it is just too hot for that.

The picking processes have brought back to my mind a curious phenomenon that I noticed many years ago in the workings at different venue and action. It is an odd reflex occurrence of the human mind – at least in mine – that I first noticed after a good day of fishing many moons ago.

In the early spring it was crappie fishing time. This type fish is also spelled croppie and crappe and is considered to be among the best tasting freshwater fishes. Crappie are also called papermouths, calico bass, strawberry bass and Oswego bass. My uncle once said that he had been called a crappie fisherman but instead of referring to his expertise at the sport, it was the type fish he went for.

Many of these trips were made with my pastor at the time and they were enjoyable and productive inasmuch as we would always bring back fish for the freezer. He was the one that told me of the phenomenon of my reference. He stated that if you fish hard all day and catch many fish, you can close your eyes and still see the cork going down.

I didn’t think much of the statement until we were coming home one day after a very productive trip. He was driving and I leaned back and closed my eyes and there it was, in my mind I could still see the cork going down. I’m sure there is a name for this mental reflex reaction, but I thought it very odd when it happened to me – made me want to reel in another fish.

Several years ago I noticed a similar mental reaction after a lengthy berry picking session. When I came in and plopped down in the floor to rest a few minutes and closed my eyes, I could still see cluster after cluster of ripe blueberries just hanging there, ready to be plucked from the branches. It would almost make one reach out for the picking.

This reaction has happened many times since and even though the mind is sometimes an odd thing, I do rejoice, even in these weirdnesses, because according to scripture we are “fearfully and wonderfully made” and that makes me glad. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I've experienced that as well although not with fishing or picking.

Thanks for comment. I agree with you about the braids but I'll never convince them of that. Rebecca will probably be ready for them to leave by tomorrow.

7/08/2006 01:54:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ It sounds like you
are busy busy. Thanks for comments and glad you enjoyed the post.
Cheers, Merle.

7/08/2006 05:09:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Maybe that's why I am developing photos in my mind even when I get home from work! ;-)

7/08/2006 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - The braids were cute though.

merle - Yes, it has been berry busy here. :)

jayleigh - Probably - it sounds like the same kind of reaction.

7/08/2006 10:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home