My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

KS - the rings

A letter of March 14, 1963 mentioned that I had gotten a promotion to a higher rate of pay; this was good but still didn’t solve the temporary job status. We had to work a good many Saturdays on overtime and this was tiring, but helped improve my financial situation as I was still trying to scrape up enough cash for a ring. That seems a little strange in today’s world – not having a ring yet – but it didn’t to me then and Miss C wasn’t complaining.

Another letter – April 7, 1963 – brought back to mind that Miss C and my Mom came up to Lexington to see me for a few days. My Mom’s neighbor was traveling that way and they hitched a ride with them. We had a great time touring around the area horse farms – the whole territory was famous for them – that and University of Kentucky basketball.

Miss C and I looked around for a trailer to buy and just generally checked out the whole city for some place to live when we moved there. It was a wonderful visit but it just made me lonelier when they went back home. They made it home OK in spite of the fact that the neighbor that drove them was colorblind and his wife had to tell him when the traffic signal was red or green. There were a few close calls during the trip according to my Mom and Miss C. Incidentally, there were no interstate highways in their route to and from home – that highway system was still in its infancy.

The engagement and wedding rings had been put on order and a letter of April 10th said that they finally came in. With these endearing objects in hand I made a surprise trip home on the 12th to therewith grace the third finger, left hand of my intended. She was appropriately pleased for a couple of reasons, one was the obvious and the other was the fact that the ring was different from the usual. The difference was that the engagement ring diamond was an emerald cut, very unusual at that time. But then an unusual person picked it out – me.

The letter of April 15th mentioned that I got back to Lexington at 3:30am Monday morning, slept 2 hours and went to work. After work I still had to come home and do my laundry - and no, the laundry had no bearing at all on me wanting to get married.

TBC - ec


Blogger Bonita said...

This was a very special moment, very endearing to make the surprise trip. May I ask, did the lovely Miss C help pick out the ring as girls today do, or was it your choice entirely? If the latter, what a delight, to present something uncommonly special.

7/11/2006 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Jayleigh said...

That laundry situation just never lets up, does it? :-)

7/11/2006 02:15:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~ A lovely story and now we are all set for the wedding. I do
hope you can find the way to post a
photo. Thanks for your visit and the blonde man joke which I will post.
I do not have far to go to shops, but
don't drive now and too far to walk (let alone carry)oly about10 mins in a car. I manage and try to keep a stack of goodies in the cupboards & freezer.
Keep well both of you, Cheers, Merle.

7/12/2006 06:02:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Back then, in our area at least, the man picked out the rings. Miss C was delighted that it was different from the norm.

jayleigh - The laundry has never let up and unless the Spice is ailing, I am pretty much banished from the laundry - I don't want to talk about it. :)

merle - Thanks, the wedding is just a couple of KS posts away. We too try to keep stocked up in the freezer and pantry, even though the store is only just over a mile away. I like to stock up on the weekly specials. ec

7/12/2006 10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home