My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, August 17, 2006

fans

In the ebb and flow of time and tide, it somehow, somewhat magically, became Tuesday. Since the day that immediately preceded it was Monday, my deductive reasoning processes told me that time was still passing the same here in Texas as it does in South Carolina, just an hour earlier – or later, however time is thought of and managed by those to whom it is important.

This was the day we had appointed as the one to solve the ‘fan problem’. This problem reared its ugly head on the day last week that GM2’s platform bed was delivered and put together. The existing 48 inch ceiling fan overlapped the raised bed by several inches and if GM2 flung out an arm during sleep, the fan would have clipped her – if it was turning, of course.

OD had wanted a certain smaller fan, but it was out of stock. We determined to try to find some shorter replacement fan blades and use the existing fan, so off to Lowe’s we went. The blades we found were not short enough so we looked around a bit and almost by accident found the same fan she had originally wanted but in the ‘ceiling hugger’ configuration – this would actually be better anyway and further remove the fan blades from reach.

Back to their house, I took the old fan down and started installing the new one with the goal in mind of being finished by the time GM2 got back from school. It was almost finished when she got home, but we made her wait downstairs until it was totally completed. She was appropriately pleased by her new appliance and by the fact that she could now run her fan at night – it came with lights as well.

It was decided that the fan removed from GM2’s room would be placed in the dining room – which OD had made into her crafts room. The chandelier was taken down and replaced by the ceiling fan with lights – done from a stepladder due to the high ceiling. The finished products in both rooms looked very good – plus they actually worked!

Things that actually work according to how they are supposed to are good things – especially in the spiritual realm when the promise is stated in Scripture and more especially when it pertains to forgiveness of all the wrong things we have ever done. God is good! ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You sound like the opposite of me -- a competent handyman. When can we schedule your visit?

8/17/2006 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

You and my dad would have enjoyed each other; he was so good at improvising and figuring things out. I admire those handyman skills, as my husband has yet to have his own tool box. He uses mine...

8/17/2006 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Mr Eddie! You're welcome at our home anytime! We have two doors that seem to close with some difficulty and there is a chip in our laminate flooring! Rob and I will feed you and the Spice well!

hehehe

8/17/2006 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Why don't ya'll swing on by here with that tool belt on your way home. Hubby has a list a half mile long and keeps telling me he'll get around to it. It never seems to come round though. (grin)

8/18/2006 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I’m glad they worked. When you have a chance, drive up to Louisville and help me figure out how to open the windows in my 100+ year old house. Either that or help me install a lot of fans.

8/21/2006 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - It would be nice to get to Canada some time - but not right away, these old bones are tired of traveling.

bonita - My older brother and I have done many projects together and I have picked up many 'how tos' from him, plus we have fun just working together. I did buy both my daughters their own tool box and basic tools after they left home.

jayleigh - Thanks for the offer but now I have to catch up on things around here for a while. We have a small chip in our laminate - I need to check with the dealer, I think there is a touch-up product - if it's not too big.

brenda - I do know how those lists are and we have one around here that seems neverending but I eventually get them done - mostly. :)

SSN - Those old windows are tough, especially after several coats of paint over the years. At another time and place, I have even used a small crowbar on them. ec

8/21/2006 10:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home