My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Statesboro, GA

The morning was grey, cloudy and misty when BIL picked me up to go to Statesboro, Georgia to do a job for the company for which he works. BIL is the computer savvy person for this particular outfit and he depends on me to do any associated telephone and wiring work. It was shortly after sunrise but that was not evident according to the available light.

This town was a little less than 2 hours away and not too bad of a ride, especially since he was doing the driving. On the way down, I was observing the passing rural scenery – actually the scenery wasn’t passing, we were. In fact, the scenery hardly moved at all except for the waving of a few leaves – not sure if they were waving hi or bye or just being friendly.

The crops we passed looked to be in pretty good shape since we have got some rain in the last couple of weeks. Many acres of healthy soybeans and cotton were in the fields along the road – even several acres of peanuts were the deep green color of healthy plants. This contrasted to the several fields of corn that didn’t make it until the rains came – they were brown and dead, and not over four feet tall.

We arrived at our work location, surveyed the location of existing wiring and started modifying and adding to this to satisfy the needs of the instrumentation we were installing. By noon, we were mostly finished with the wiring and installing and entered the testing phase – which has been known to be just as time consuming.

A sales rep for a company doing business with this company was present at lunchtime and bought us all some mid-day sustenance. This was much appreciated as the hunger pains were starting to rear their ugly head. After we got ourselves around the outside of these consumable victuals, we finished our testing and left the area about 2pm.

We were in and out of not-so-serious rain all the way back to Augusta. We had to make a visit to the parent company to correct some malfunctioning computers and not long after we arrived, it started a downpour. BIL had to back up to an overhang to load – and keep dry – our equipment for working in another Georgia city tomorrow.

Arriving home, I found myself grateful for many things, not the least of which was the fact that I didn’t have to do this every day – even though tomorrow would be a very similar day. God is good in so many ways that they are hard to count. ec


Blogger Bonita said...

Impressive labor for a retired guy, MrEddie. I respect your work ethic, and I hope you were compensated with more than lunch.

8/24/2006 09:03:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Thanks and yes, I was well compensated. ec

8/25/2006 08:30:00 PM  
Blogger Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

Since I have been on two road trips this week to cities east of Louisville, I can truly appreciate what you felt when you returned home. Very, very grateful.

8/26/2006 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Always good to get home, it's just refreshing. ec

8/28/2006 10:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home