My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, September 07, 2006

holidays

The Labor Day holiday slipped by almost without notice since most every day is a holiday of sorts to me since my retirement. Many of these are holidays of working in the yard/garden of our vast (?) estate. Others are holidays of babysitting or various other chores about the ‘maison’. No matter what they look like to others, they are holidays nonetheless.

Tuesday, (September 5th) crept into being almost before I was aware and the holiday of the day was babysitting – mostly. This festival was interrupted shortly after noon by the partial day celebration of ‘going to the doctor day’, a time of reflection and examination. The reflection was on my part and the examination was her job – of this ancient skin of mine – since she was a dermatologist.

She was a very cool professional, cold even, or at least her ray gun of liquid nitrogen was – as she froze several unwanted growths on my scalp. This caused somewhat of a ‘freeze headache’, not unlike the one from eating ice cream too quickly – I would have preferred the ice cream.

She then started to needle me but proved to be a real ‘cut-up’ as she excised a questionable growth for an in-depth study. My efforts a grinning through the ordeal probably came out more like a grimace. She is to inform me later on of the biopsy results and as to whether she is to become a ‘cut-up’ on a much larger scale.

Back to the home front and after a couple of hours of respite and/or an interval of relief, my babysitting holiday began again. This latter segment was for their parents to attend a school function for GM1. Babysitting the grands is not odious and can be very enjoyable, but on occasion it can twang the nerves much like one could do to a cheap off-key guitar with rusty strings.

After YD retrieved the young ones, the Spice and I returned to our solitude – but can two have solitude together or does it have to be separate? Anything is usually more fun when done with someone, so we enjoyed our solitude together. This was a day blessed by the Lord and we rejoiced in it accordingly. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I like your definition of 'togetherness' in retirement. It will be over 10 years before my husband retires, he simply loves his job too much. In some cultures, the people work until they die....I guess I'm counting my blessings at being able to 'putter away'.

9/07/2006 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - You have just described most of my days - 'puttering away', sometimes doing what I want to do and sometimes the will of others, but puttering nonetheless. ec

9/07/2006 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Boy, I almost envy you - Every day a holiday. ;) With my line of work (bakery in a grocery store), I sometimes even have to work on holidays. But I still manage to find time to make my own holidays. :)

Hope all is well with you.

9/08/2006 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Puttering is one of my favorite activities lately. Have a great weekend!

9/08/2006 06:52:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - If we have to declare our own holiday, so be it! :) It is all in attitude anyway.

brenda - Puttering is a good thing - and it is what we want it to be. On a given day, puttering is harder than on others. ec

9/08/2006 08:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home