My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

peaches

Then came an afternoon like no other, somewhat mainly because it was preceded by a morning like no other. Things done on this afternoon have never been done before. This is because when something is done, it’s done – things that are similar can be done, but not the same thing. This last bit of revelation was laid on my brain by a long ago comedian, Bro. Dave Gardner.

It was decided by the Spice and I that this was to be our afternoon to go for peaches. Loading up several fairly large containers, we departed for the Johnston, SC area and the peach packing plant in that area. We decided that we would ‘rescue’ the rejected peaches into our own containers rather than buy them in a box. This is because (a) they are cheaper and (b) they do not cost as much.

We left the house about noon thirty and headed north for the 40-minute ride to the packing facility. On the way we decided to again listen to one of the books on CD that we didn’t finish on our Texas trip. The trip flew by and we seemed to arrive at our destination much quicker than usual. The price for ‘rescuing’ the peaches from the reject water sluice is $5 per 5-gallon bucket – and they even furnish the buckets to make the measurement the same for all.

We got a bucket each and commenced gathering, the idea is to retrieve the least rejected fruit for our home use. At first it was just the Spice and I, later joined by two others and two more later. At the peak attendance, it looked a bit like the Kodiak bears of Alaska grabbing for salmon. Except we were not hairy (especially not me) and we were grabbing for peaches. We finally freed 5 buckets of the fruit from their doom, placed them in our containers and with slightly aching backs, headed for home.

The gathering process took somewhat over an hour and was quite an adventure for us old people – or at it least broke the routine. We refueled on the way back and paid $2.48 a gallon – he writes in a non-believing manner. We also decided to pick up a pizza for our late lunch/supper and got it on the way home. As I was paying for the Italian/American delight, it dawned on me that our men’s fellowship meeting was this PM and per usual, the meeting is an eating one.

Nonetheless, we took it home and had MIL over to eat with us – we had got her a personal pan size. I did eat a couple of pieces just to be social but saved room for the men’s supper. Got cleaned up a little later and left early for an errand on the way.

The supper, fellowship and chitchat were great and afterward we went into a meeting room, sang choruses and the pastor spoke to us about one of the evangelism programs going on at the church. As per usual, he did an excellent job and I left fired up and feeling much closer to my brothers in Christ – the basic reason for the meeting. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Sounds like a perfect day, with a perfect conclusion.

I've also got peaches, for canning. 'Tacoma Boys' sells them by the box, with all the fruit uniform in size, and flawless. I so a little canning primarily because I love the way it looks, in the jars. Simply beautiful.

8/30/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Our peaches are about gone. I leave it to my MIL to make peach jam for hubby as I do not eat most fruits unless it's fresh. I think I'd like jellies and jam if they could leave out the sugar.

8/30/2006 03:12:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

What a nice day that was!! :) It sure sounded nice!

Nothing better than fresh peaches!

...but what jumped out at me in this post was your mention of Bro. Dave Gardner! My husband used to like him a lot- in fact still DOES. We still have all his albums (I bet!) and my son gave his dad 4 CDs for Christmas last year!

LOL- Charles quotes Bro Dave often- still- after all these years!

Bro. Dave was from a time when comedians could be funny without talking dirty!

8/30/2006 03:56:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

It sounds like you had a really great day. My dad really likes peaches and for most of his life eats then just about twice a day sometimes thrice. You can believe I grew up having to help with canning a lot of peaches for him, my mom, and my seven other siblings. As for gas, just today, I paid $2.78/gal; it's been a long time since it was that low up here.

8/30/2006 08:35:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - It was a great day - plus the peaches are very yummy.

brenda - This outfit has many varieties during the summer, but I think these were the last ones of the season. I too like the jams and jellies that are less sweet.

junierose - I can always get points from the Spice by cutting up a bowl of peaches for her. I only remember but one album of Dave Gardner we had but we about wore it out. A quote from him still comes to mind on occasion.

tim rice - I do like peaches but evidently not as much as your Dad. With blueberries it is a different story, most every day I have at least a cup full with my cereal. The gas prices are really weird around here, the Georgia state line is about 5 miles away from us and the price there is 15 to 20 cents higher than here in SC - don't know why, I'm just enjoying it while we can. ec

8/30/2006 09:24:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

When we were struggling years ago, we use to visit a site that had discarded peaches and apricots for the taking.

They were fine; just needed a little more work once I blanched and skinned them.

Thanks for your comment. Not only the cafe chimed in being helpful, but half the internet once I posted it.

Sometimes I grow discouraged and then my basic faith in humanity is restored by simple kindness.

8/30/2006 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - The peaches had a few bruises but tasted great. I know what you mean - all it takes to encourage someone is just a word or small action, that is what I want to do all the time. ec

8/31/2006 09:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home