My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, September 21, 2006

empty

The area of my computer screen in which a missive of some sort is usually written is empty. As I sat and pondered this empty space I decided that I wanted to know more about what empty means to me. Then I wondered if it would mean the same thing to others.

The word ‘empty’ has several meanings at residence in Webster’s book of definitions – some of which were very meaningful in my search for the truth about empty. The first of these was ‘containing nothing or devoid of contents’ and brought several questions to mind. 1) How large would this container be that contained nothing? The larger the container, the bigger the explanation has to be.

2) Does the container really contain nothing or would it have to be considered ‘relatively’ empty? This because in my mind, the antithesis of nothing is something and at the very least the container would contain some controversy as to the emptiness thereof unless independent verification could be obtained. Of course the verification would have to be from a person or agency certified to verify and their certification would have to come from a higher authority still.

3) For the sake of this soliloquy we will scale down the container size so we can peer inside. The ‘devoid of contents’ part of the definition begs a question or two. Did the container once have contents and been emptied of them or has it always been content-less? If it once contained something, does it still have residue of the thing or things therein once contained? If so, the true emptiness of the container could be called into question.

Another of the meanings was ‘vacant or unoccupied’ and it spoke to me of human dwellings that once were filled with the noises of the occupying ones. Some with the anger and hurtful words that caused wounds and scars on body and soul, but others that rang with the joy and laughter of happy family life. Were these sounds recorded in these vacant buildings and imprinted on the walls of the now unoccupied rooms?

A deeper, darker meaning emerged with ‘hollow or meaningless’ and this was driven deeper into the darkness by the thesaurus comparison words: aimless, without substance, vacuous, worthless, purposeless, futile, unfulfilled, shallow, banal and insipid. These are bad enough when applied to one’s emotional self or character, but worse still if they speak of the spiritual part of a person.

No matter how deep or dark the emptiness inside gets to be, a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is still the only real solution for the emptiness dilemma. I didn’t make this up; it’s in the Book. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I look forward to your posts that go 'round in circles. Very entertaining always, and never without a message. Thank you for sharing.

9/21/2006 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Some Buddhist monks retreat to high monasteries to meditate on the concept of emptiness. I associate it with removing the dross of worldliness which impedes clairity. And, I can understand the intrigue of 'an empty screen'...it hints of a journey.

9/22/2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - You're welcome - I tend to enjoy running in verbal and/or written circles a bit - I need the exercise. :)

bonita - The empty screen was daring me to take that journey - a trip of words, trekking through a wilderness of words and exploring meanings - the ones plain to see or the hidden meanings, whether implicit, implied or maybe just hinted toward. ec

9/22/2006 06:52:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

You truly are a philosopher with a skilled technique of bringing in a spiritual truth. You never cease to amaze me.

9/26/2006 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - Thanks - and my Lord never ceases to amaze me. :) ec

9/27/2006 07:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home