My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

babysitting

Then came the ‘day of babysitting’. This was not a day of sitting on babies but with them – plus they are no longer babies but now a toddler and two young boys – plus there is not nearly enough sitting involved in this adventure and way too much quick moving. Their Mom, YD, had appointments both this morning and afternoon, so I told her to bring them on and have at it.

As she left them, I was feeding one – GM6 – while GM3 was requesting me to start up a DVD for him and GM4 wanted to go to the basement to play, except not alone. This reminds me a bit of starting three balls bouncing and trying to get back to each before they stop bouncing and start them bouncing afresh. All three were eventually placated but then began the job of keeping them from interfering with the happiness of each other.

This ‘interfering of happiness’ took many forms, the taking of a toy before another was through with it, the hoarding of the choice toys and the striking of one of their persons by a toy in the hands of another – accidentally, of course. The ‘sitter’ – or the ‘mover’ in this case – also had to be alert and aware of the dangers of being struck – by a toy in the hands of an over-zealous young one.

The Spice and her Mom had appointments as well, so I was on my own most of the day. Then came one of the best parts of the adventure, or at least the quietest – nap time! The little one was first, but I had to pay my dues before I put him down – dues in this case took the form of a massive poopie diaper – the ‘up the back’, three wiper kind. He seemed to feel much better when I put him down – certainly smelled better.

About an hour later it was the other two that had to go down. This is not their favorite time of the day and they let that fact be known to me in no uncertain terms. After convincing them that this was not a democracy and they didn’t have a vote – in a very nice way – they both lay down for the dreaded ‘nap’. After hovering nearby for a while and being convinced they were asleep, I went back upstairs to allow peace and quiet to seep back into my consciousness for much too short a time.

In the course of time and tide they all were awake again – they may have been concerned about me enjoying the quietness too much. They were all fed and about their play again when their Mom arrived. The young ones are a blessing from God, sometimes a bit of a noisy blessing, but a blessing nonetheless. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Jerri and the Chicklets spent the afternoon with me yesterday and the littlest Chicklet kept us hopping. She climbs like a little monkey!

9/19/2006 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - I know what you mean, our youngest grand is a climber - and very quick. He has had a few bruises from it but so far nothing serious. ec

9/19/2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

OH! How I miss those days!


Junie

9/20/2006 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. Babysitting 3 grandkids is rather like starting three balls bouncing and trying to get back to each before they stop bouncing and start them bouncing afresh.

9/20/2006 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Bring on the blessings, I say -- but one at at time. :)

9/20/2006 11:34:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - I know I will miss them too when that time comes.

SSN - Sometimes I kept them bouncing and sometimes not. :)

AC - Aye sir, much better one at a time but two is better than three, etc., etc. ec

9/21/2006 09:36:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

In some ways I miss that age; in some ways not so much.

9/21/2006 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Every age seems to have its pluses and minuses - sometimes we enjoy them and sometimes just endure. :) ec

9/22/2006 09:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home