My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, September 23, 2006

eradicate

It has become several days after yesterday’s missive was written but since it was written about the day before that, and then sent several days after that, the time frame for today would be several days after what used to be tomorrow – when compared to the events therein written. So today’s writing is actually happenings of short-term history, unless I toss in something that happened on a given day just for clarification – I get so much fun out of explaining things.

The main word for that particular yesterday was eradicate and that was my goal of the day – eradicate the morning glory entities and any other weeds or grass that happened to be at residence in the garden. As I am wont to do, I looked up the word to see if it was strong enough to describe what I did. The two definitions of eradicate that would apply to my situation were – 1) to remove or destroy utterly or extirpate – and 2) to pull up by the roots.

These seemed to fit what I did but I wanted to be sure – so I looked up the definitions of the words in the definitions. Extirpate was very close to the same – 1) to remove or destroy totally; exterminate – 2) to pull up by or as if by the roots. Wow – how did these words know exactly what I did?

But I still wanted more definition and the word ‘remove’ added a bit to the action – one of the meanings was – to eliminate or do away with or put an end to. It was getting better all the time so I looked up the word destroy. It had many meanings, but the descriptive summation that best applies to my garden skirmish was – to reduce something to nothingness or to take away its powers and functions so that restoration is impossible. Now I was even more impressed with what I did.

So what did I do in the garden? I eradicated, extirpated, removed and destroyed weeds, grass and any other unwanted plant growths – plus I squashed a few bugs that looked disagreeable. It was a ‘seek and destroy’ mission and a scorched earth policy – except no flames were used. Three of the larger beds (35 feet long) are now cleaned out, except for some flowers and a few veggies still giving it their best shot. The two smaller ones are partially clean and I have just started on the last large one. Basically, I’ve only just begun – why does that sound familiar?

The corpora delicti, the remains of the massive plant kill, were placed on the large pile of no return and non-remembrance, for their bodies to be dried and bleached in the sun. The plots of these evil plant forms were thwarted – they had planned to take over the garden and rule with weedy fists and pervasive roots. The guy with the white hat (actually light blue) has triumphed again, but there are still more weed warriors out there and they seem not to give up until they are on the pile.

The growth of weeds remind me so much of the actions of the enemy of our soul. He keeps sowing the bad weed seeds that would crowd out the good we are trying to do and we just have to keep fighting the good fight of faith and with God’s help keep yanking up the weeds. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I get tired and achy reading about all that you do. I'm not sure I could pull a determined week these days.

9/24/2006 12:37:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - That makes two of us tired and achy and that is bad enough at the end of the day but it happens sometimes at the day's beginning. :) ec

9/24/2006 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

35' long and that's only one bed? My, my.

9/24/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - There are 4 beds and each is wide enough for two veggie rows. They are situated on a slope and each is terraced to fit the incline. It is not huge but it does get a bit hard to handle sometimes. ec

9/24/2006 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

ec,

I have been totally defeated by my garnening chores this summer...LOL-now I'm just waiting for the cold weather to kill down the weeds once more! :) YES-I know I still have a while to wait for that!

Can't be helped! I know when I've been outdone!

June

9/25/2006 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like your researching words. Where do you get the time??
Dr. Adrian Rogers often chases words down in the Bible and comes up with meanings that ring true.
I love it.!!!

Betty G

9/25/2006 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junie rose - It is so easy for these hardy pest plants to get ahead of the gardner. I still have some cleaning out left to do.

boopchile - The word search thing is a hobby, and a very cheap one - but enjoyable to me. Also an effort at self-education. :) ec

9/25/2006 06:44:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

I like how you described what you did to the weeds. You really find the words. ;)

9/26/2006 09:40:00 PM  
Blogger ann said...

hey mr eddie - reading your words are such a balm to me! i visit here when i need a chance to breath, only to be taken on a delightful journey of chasing down words - as if i weren't dizzy enough from the first paragraph...

thanks for sharing your life with us - your love for your family and for the Lord. it's a nice respite before jumping back in the battle, and thinking about satan as a weed just slays me... pun intended.

9/27/2006 03:34:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

tim rice - Those weeds deserved every word of it! :)

ann - Thanks for stopping by, you are always welcome. I do love to play around with words. ec

9/27/2006 07:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home