My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, October 05, 2006

seasons

Once again I find myself seated in the very short beach chair, situated in the shade of the fig tree, resting myself and enjoying some observation and contemplation time. Even though it was mid-morning, the temp was still comfortable – I had trouble getting myself cranked up this morning. I had picked a handful of rose hips and munched on these since I have yet to figure out anything else to do with them. They are fairly tasty, reminding a bit of a strawberry but with a lot of inedible seeds.

If there be a problem of just sitting here, it would forsooth be in the fact that I have yet to do any work except for getting out my tools and equipment. When I brought out the chair, the power of suggestion was too strong for my body, it demanded to sit down and I complied with its request. In fact, it took some mighty tall talking a bit later to get the body out of its place of repose and into the day’s labor.

The body finally arose at the insistence of the will and began a half-hearted effort. It was not convinced this was the thing to do and it whined and complained the rest of the morning. It kept saying that it was tired, felt bad, was thirsty and even hungry – of course that last part could be true about me most of the day. Then the body wanted to go rest, it was a struggle just to keep it moving. The will was running the show but was pretty much alone since the mind was siding with the body.

Then it was back to the chair for a bit more OC time. The fig tree shade is starting to get a bit thin around the edges with more leaves dropping all the time. A mockingbird flew in and lit about 6 feet above my head and I don’t know if it didn’t see me, wasn’t afraid of me, or just very confident in its ability to get away if I turned out to be a dangerous critter.

Off to the left of my chair, the main patch of blueberries are starting to show just a hint of color change in their leaves – some of the varieties more than others. Just beyond that stands a rather large dogwood showing color changes as well, with small clumps of the leaves already a bright red to match the color of the proliferation of berries thereon contained.

The changes in the vegetation that herald the advancing of the seasons are mostly easy to see, as are the signs of the changing seasons of life. The winter of life seems to be creeping up on me but I’m greatly comforted by the fact that the eternal parts of me will never grow old and I will be in the presence of Jesus Christ forever. ec

11 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

On the whole I think you're a pertty hard-working guy. Sometimes it's right to just breathe. Breathing is the essential part of life.

10/05/2006 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Well said, I enjoy breathing. I was really feeling my age that day. ec

10/06/2006 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I have days like that and sometimes I just listen to what my body is saying. Others times I can't.

I envy you the foliage. It's one of the few things I miss about life in the NY Mohawk Valley/Adirondack Mountain area. We had the most glorious fall colors. (And I could almost throw a rock and hit the Baseball Hall of Fame). Not a big deal for some but it was for me.

You're right about home being the best sleeping pill. He doesn't need that medicine outside the hospital and will probably never open the bottle.

Thanks for the comment.

10/06/2006 03:07:00 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

At our age, EC we deserve those long mornings just watching the wonders of nature and contemplating the many blessing we have been given. It's better for us than anything else we could be doing.

10/06/2006 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Sometimes, working hard makes the sitting down part more enjoyable when you finally get to it. Everything aches, and for good reason. Regardless, to have a grateful heart, like you do, is a blessing. I believe that you will be taking that with you, everywhere you go.

10/06/2006 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - That day I felt like an old horse that had been rode hard and put up wet. The leaves are just starting to turn down here.

TMG - On that day I just about sat more than I worked. Feeling better now though. Checking out nature does really charge my batteries.

bonita - I just enjoy watching the small things of creation - and it always amazes me. The Word says "in everything give thanks" and I try to live that every day. ec

10/07/2006 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The changes of the seasons reinforces my belief in God. As does the birth of a child.

10/07/2006 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - Same here, all seasons are God's handiwork. And I consider the birth of a child a miracle of God. ec

10/08/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I love the changing seasons. The trees around here are finally starting to change color and drop their leaves. I also love the changing seasons of life. With each passing season I find that I have grown closer to the Lord and He is more precious to me than before. It is so wonderful to rest in the fact that when this life is over we will be with Him forever. :)

10/08/2006 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hello Mr Eddie, It is nice to know you have a day off sometimes. Just enjoy it once in awhile. You do
plenty of work most of the time.
I am hoping this will post, but not at all sure. I hope you and your wife are keeping well. Regards, Merle.

10/09/2006 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

adannells - The changing of the colors of leaves is a real treat for the eyes and emotions - beautiful season. Every passing day we are one day closer to being with our Lord.

merle - It's good to hear from you - the Spice and I are doing fine. The problem with being retired is what to do on an off day - since they are all that. :) ec

10/09/2006 03:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home