My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

mowing

My lawn mower had been on the fritz since the first part of the summer and I had finally taken it to a friend of mine for repairs. My back-up mower was not self-propelled and that required real effort to mow my sloping yard. The yard had been mowed, but because of the effort and sweat involved, it wasn’t cut nearly as much as the Spice would have desired.

After I received the call that the mower was fixed, I traversed the distance and retrieved said machine in my pickin’-up truck. The mower’s return home was joyous, certainly for me, but one could almost hear the cheerful greetings from the other machinery and tools – it would appear that they missed this cutter of grass as well. Don’t tell them, but I’m seriously considering getting a riding mower. That would be a first for me – the jolting ride is hard on the back, so I have always used a walk behind.

The weed termination was back in operation for a while and then I went back and sat in the fig tree shade again for some OC time – Observation and Contemplation. I noticed that the leaves on the fig tree were slowly turning brown and a few had even fallen off – enough leaves were still present though to shelter from the sun and enable me to sit there and enjoy the OC time. The temp was still near 90F but the humidity was low and with a light breeze it was very comfortable.

Just in front of my sitting place and directly in line of sight, stood some goldenrod in bloom with various insects visiting them while I watched. Two different species of wasps were on the largest flower gathering or eating whatever they gather or eat. One wasp was about twice the body mass of the other but when the two had a small disagreement as to which should be in one area, the smaller threatened and the larger wasp gave way and moved to another part of the flower – interesting.

Being a little hard on the knees and back, the termination job is interspersed with other outside tasks so these aching parts can rest – and since I have my good mower back, the alternate labor has been mowing. Some of this mowing on the back of the hill hadn’t been done since the mower conked out. The grass, weeds, etc. were so high that the mowing was slow going indeed. They were thick enough to choke a mule so they really did a number on the mower. About half of this area had been done one day with the rest saved for the next to make it easier on the old muscles.

On this second day only the center portion of the encircled growths remained. As I slowly circled and mowed this center part I noticed two field rats in the jumble of the mowed and unmowed grass and vines. One of the rodents found its demise in the mowing operations, a fact that I report with neither great jubilation nor abject sorrow – it just was what it was. The more I age, the more life grows precious – any life. I do look forward to spending life eternally with the Savior that I have known for many years now. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Hope having the mower helps your aching back.

Thanks for the comment. It was just one of those days for me.

10/04/2006 01:32:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't suppose that wasps know how big they are, so it's all about attitude. I observe that a lot of little dogs don't seem to know they're little as they yip and yap at the big ones who usually seem to be almost dismissive of the little ones and their posturing.

10/04/2006 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I sometimes feel guilty bagging up all the dandilion seed-heads, thus depriving spring of some new color....but, my neighbor's grass is rarely cut, and that evens things out. I feel no guilt then. Thank goodness for small graces.

10/04/2006 09:15:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

I do so enjoy reading your accounts of your days. There's something peaceful and inspiring in you and your posts. Thanks.

10/04/2006 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - The self-propelled part of the mower is a great help - especially on the hill behind the house.

AC - That's true, if they don't know they are big, they just react for self-preservation.

bonita - My preference is to observe some things in my neighbor's yard instead of having to pull them out of my garden. :)

tim rice - Thanks. There is much that inspires me in God's creation. ec

10/04/2006 11:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home